• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Cleaning Liquid?

ABPGraphics

Since I've been working here we've only had 1 bottle of Cleaning Fluid for our SP 300v and now that it's getting close to the 1 year mark that I've been here the bottle is starting to get low. I've shopped around the internet for a new bottle and the places I've been to are wanting 70-90 dollars per bottle. To me that seems rather ridiculous for a soda can-sized bottle... What do they put in there? Gold!? Anyway, If anyone has a better place to get the 500ml bottles that would like to share I would be appreciative. We'd like to stick to the Roland Brand cause it hasn't failed us thus far. And if anyone knows what exactly it is that would be good to know as well.

Break open your cleaning cartridges 220ml of cleaning fluid - You will never use the cartridge of fluid in the cartridge....this will last you a very long time.

phototec

Liquid gold

Break open your cleaning cartridges 220ml of cleaning fluid - You will never use the cartridge of fluid in the cartridge....this will last you a very long time.

As mentioned in the previous post, I purchase non OEM cleaning cartridges from ebay for $20, and use the cleaning solution from them to refill the 500ml bottle. Much cheaper than the OEM cleaning solution (liquid gold).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260497106319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ABPGraphics

How long have you been using 3rd party inks?

We do not use 3rd party Inks. We use Roland Eco-Sol 220 incs being as we're too scared to have our printer fail and have to pay for costly repairs. The cleaning fluid is too expensive though there has to be a decent alternative. What about Alcohol?

Ragnabrok

Nazdar has a cleaning solution, similar to rolands, but it stinks like melting plastic. 2 guys out here use it, and it doesn't seem to have adverse effects. comes in litre bottles, for about the price of the roland 8oz'ers i think.

Sign Works

I just got the 500ml bottle for 29.95, ordered from US Cutter website of all places. I think it was an error because it appears to have been corrected, now it's listed as 83.99

artbot

it's butyl cellosolve, and acetone. you can add butyl carbitol but i don't. i like it better with just the two. about 4/1 ratio. but don't use it if you don't have a knowledge of solvents. and keep a bit of the factory solution to use as a standard to compare strength.

the same base can be used for all kinds of stuff. just the other day i made a clear varnish and have been printing it for the last week. it's like printing glass!

J

john1

my tech told me that 70 or 100% alcohol works perfectly fine. I have it written down and can look for sure if you really want it. Just PM me.

My OEM bottles still got some in it so i haven't needed to replace the fluid yet.

artbot

the question is not "what will clean off the ink without damaging the printer". of course alchohol can dissolve the ink without doing damage. but as solvents go it evaporates too quickly. the idea is to dissolve the resins in the ink and not let them re-dry quickly. rapid evaporation can lead to further clogging and or condensation that coagulates moisture into the resins. generally what i've observed is that none of the ketones are bad if diluted. the worst reaction i've seen is xylol. it can melt the print head adapter in minutes. turns it to sludge. i'd do my best to stick with the basic solvents that the ink chemists have chosen. so simple ketones mixed with glycol ethers is the way to go. there are several sources on the internet that give away the contents of solvent ink cleaning solution on the msds. and this is what they use.

DRamm76

$70-$90 for cleaning solution? Damn..we're in the wrong business. You can bust open your cleaning cartridges if you have some..wow..Since I'm not a "merchant member" I can publish what they go for, but $70-$90 is A LOT for something so simple..

artbot

a liter has about $5 retail in solvents... if it were coming from 55 gallon barrels, maybe $1 or $2.

artbot

hey my 12 year old daughter calls me "old man"... i prefer "kid"! my girlfriend is 26... so around here, i am revoltingly old.