• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland ColorCamm 600 question.

Jim Hill

I was wondering if Roland still supports and services the Roland ColorCamm 600 or it is hard to get parts for.

I also understand that this is considered old technolgy and some of these machines could be problems.

I know someone that has of these machines and wants me to purchase it and I believe they have owned it since day one.

I would want to see how it prints before I do anything and just what it needs but I was wondering if it did need service does Roland still do it?

Thanks Jimbo

Flame

Roland no longer offers support for those machines. You can still find parts from a few places though.

hammered

Jim, being only about 600 or so miles south of me, you may want to look to Cammtech for service. The shipping for me in SC was $100 or so cheaper and unlike the good people at Roland told me, Cammtech did all my work for a flat rate.

Jim Hill

ColorCamm 600

So if I am understanding everyone right the ColorCamm 600 is no longer being serviced by Roland but there are other companies servicing them.

Still not sure what I will do but the machine looks to be in great shape but something inside of me keeps saying it's old technolgy and just put the money in something brand new.

I have heard so many stories from different owners of these machines and they fall in to two different camps.

Some owners love them and swear by them while other owners seem to just swear at them.

The person that I know that has this machine only stopped using it because they went to a 54" VersaCamm which they needed for their business.

On the other hand all of my runs would be short runs and the machine would be just what I need.

Even if I purchased a new machine it would be a 30" VeraCamm because that's all we need. We do not do any large work at all and don't intent to in the future.

I better sleep on this a little more.

Jim Hill

Sign Works

So if I am understanding everyone right the ColorCamm 600 is no longer being serviced by Roland but there are other companies servicing them.

Still not sure what I will do but the machine looks to be in great shape but something inside of me keeps saying it's old technolgy and just put the money in something brand new.

I have heard so many stories from different owners of these machines and they fall in to two different camps.

Some owners love them and swear by them while other owners seem to just swear at them.

The person that I know that has this machine only stopped using it because they went to a 54" VersaCamm which they needed for their business.

On the other hand all of my runs would be short runs and the machine would be just what I need.

Even if I purchased a new machine it would be a 30" VeraCamm because that's all we need. We do not do any large work at all and don't intent to in the future.

I better sleep on this a little more.

Jim Hill

Jim, these printers are no longer "SUPPORTED" by Roland, meaning that Roland does not offer technical support on them. Roland's main headquarters located in Irvine, CA will still service these printers as well as most authorized Roland service centers such as Cammtech (Jim at Cammtech, very knowledgable and helpful).

It seems that most PC-600 users expected these machines to operate as a "plug & play device" such as a desktop inkjet printer and after spending a couple hours with them they just threw in the towel so to speak, sold the printer and have spent the last 8 years bad mouthing them. Then there are the other 3 percent that invested some time and effort to master the machine and have used the printer successfully for many many years, I've had mine for over 6 years without any issues or maintenance what so ever, works so well that I kept it after buying a Versacamm 2 years ago, there are still some speciality applications that the PC-600 is perfect for.

high impact

I sold mine after buying my versacamm and I wish I still had it for cling, metallic, etc. They are not a bad machine IF you understand that the pc doesn't do the same thing the versacamm does. Definitely costs more to print with a pc-60 or pc-600 then an inkjet.

Jim Hill

High Impact

Would you explain what the VersaCamm does that the PC-600 won't

I understand that the PC-600 cost more to operate.

Jimbo

high impact

The pc will NOT do wide format prints without burning up the head. For a couple of examples - there is no way I would do a window perf job or poster job with the pc-60 or 600. If thermal prints are going on a vehicle you still must laminate them. Everyone thinks that you don't have to laminate thermal prints - that may be ok for a sign but it is not ok for vehicle lettering.

You may not see the differences now but once you print with an inkjet for any length of time you will realize just how much better the inkjet the is...and how much more it does.

Like I said...I wish I had kept my pc (actually sold it to a guy who is on the forum once in a while) and regret selling it - but ONLY for those few jobs that require the metallic or white print. If I had a choice to spend $2000 on a pc-600 or $8000 on a versacamm and could choose only one, there is no question I would choose the versacamm.

The pc will do cling, white and metallics - that's the only thing I miss.

graphixtogo

:thread WARNING!!!

Sorry to be a thread pirate, but what is the going price for a PC600 in excellent shape withstand, brand new printhead and several cartridges?

I have one that I am not using and would like to pass on to someone who can use it. (I upgraded to a VJ1604). I bought the 600 last year from a nearby sign shop that I think had purchased it new. I brought it back and had to put a new printhead on it, but once I did, it started working great. I used it for several months and then decided to make the jump to large format. Since then, the poor 600 has been sitting idle.

Just wondering what the current value is...

Thanks!
gtg

w2csa

JUst a cudo for Jim at Cammtech, he helped me solve a problem with my Colorcamm the other day.
Great support!