• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Dampers - differences and DIY?

JJ_Holland

Hello,

Our Roland SC-545 needs a new set of dampers and I am now thinking about replacing them ourselves because it looks simple. What would you do, what is your advice?
Does anyone have the technical service manual of the SC-545 in PDF?

Searching the web for info about dampers I found so many different prices that I am not sure what to buy anymore. I have seen Roland dampers for $25 to $60 and when I look at the website of Digiprint I also see dampers of about $5. Are the cheaper dampers fake trash? Can a bad damper permanently damage the printheads?

Many questions and I hope to get many answers to get things clear.

Thank you.

Regards,
JJ

artbot

a damper is a damper. if you want to pay $60 for one, i have some that i can sell you. i'll make a $52 profit on each one. for that matter there's not such thing as a "roland" head either. i got an epson 10000 head unit once. took it apart, it had and epson stylus head rank sticker on each dx4. peel those off and they had a roland head ranks, peel those off and i find mimaki head rank stickers. so if the heads aren't special, the dampers surely can't be special.

FrankW

There are dampers for EPSON DX3 and DX4-Heads who have the same appearance, but different connector diameters for the tube and the pin on the head. Trying to connect a DX3-Damper to a soljet's DX4-Head could lead to a cracked connector pin. Be shure to buy solvent resistant dampers.

Replacing dampers are not so easy than it appears, there are some risks: for example pulling the damper while pressing the dampers sides a little bit to much could lead to ink dropping on the head's electronical parts, what could damage the head. There are some different ways to broke the connector pin for the dampers on the heads easily. And take care of the flat cables connected to the head: damages or just bad connection could lead to electronical defects.

inkmed

Damers are standerd spare parts, so, there is no special one.
$5 is a rational price.
When change dampers, just pay attention to the pin of the head adaptor.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

JJ_Holland

Thank you all, we have ordered the parts and we'll hope for the best :)
If anybody has the Service Manual for the SC-545ex I would really love to have it.

Regards,
Jaap-Jan

I have the service manual for the Soljet II if you need it. If you were wanting it to help replace the dampers its not going to be a big help. On a roland it does have to be done carefully as so that you dont break the manifold nipple on the head or spit ink on too the electronic board of the printhead. I personally use a syringe when replacing dampers. Call me if you need help 918-282-2857 Brandon