• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland dx4 Printhead Flush HELP!

delriosigns

I have a Roland SJ-540 and I purchased a DX4 printhead cleaning tool to try and recover my printhead. I have tried almost everything else first. Head soaks, damper replacement, cap top replacement, cartridge flush, deep cleaning cycles. I know I will have to eventually purchase new heads, but I’m hoping I can buy myself a little time. Each printhead has 2 dampers that corresponds to the 2 sides on each printhead. Since the cleaning tool only has 1 damper connected to it will I be ok if I flush one side at a time?

To be specific this is what I was thinking about doing.... I would send the printhead to the left side of the machine like a normal cleaning cycle. I would power everything off. Place a container below the printhead to catch any liquid. I would then remove one of the dampers from the printhead and connect the damper from the cleaning tool. I would flush the first side of the printhead with solvent cleaning solution. Then remove the cleaning tool damper and put back the original damper from the machine. Then I would remove the second damper from the same printhead and repeat the cleaning process for the second side of the printhead. Does this sound like the proper process?

Lastly, how much force should I apply to syringe when flushing the printhead? Any tips/ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 77515A1D-36BE-4B6C-AF86-9775AD372A52.png
    77515A1D-36BE-4B6C-AF86-9775AD372A52.png
    618.5 KB · Views: 486

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You got it. Usually I push lightly until I see solution bubble out of the bottom. Then I push harder until it starts to spry out and then don't push harder once I see it spraying. You will be able to tell which nozzles are firing and which are't by the spray.

ProPDF

I have a Roland SJ-540 and I purchased a DX4 printhead cleaning tool to try and recover my printhead. I have tried almost everything else first. Head soaks, damper replacement, cap top replacement, cartridge flush, deep cleaning cycles. I know I will have to eventually purchase new heads, but I’m hoping I can buy myself a little time. Each printhead has 2 dampers that corresponds to the 2 sides on each printhead. Since the cleaning tool only has 1 damper connected to it will I be ok if I flush one side at a time?

To be specific this is what I was thinking about doing.... I would send the printhead to the left side of the machine like a normal cleaning cycle. I would power everything off. Place a container below the printhead to catch any liquid. I would then remove one of the dampers from the printhead and connect the damper from the cleaning tool. I would flush the first side of the printhead with solvent cleaning solution. Then remove the cleaning tool damper and put back the original damper from the machine. Then I would remove the second damper from the same printhead and repeat the cleaning process for the second side of the printhead. Does this sound like the proper process?

Lastly, how much force should I apply to syringe when flushing the printhead? Any tips/ideas would be appreciated!

If this is an old head that has a lot of use or is newer but sat unused for awhile you are really playing with fire trying to use this contraption to solve a problem. You are talking about using liquid under pressure while the head is still in the machine near all the other heads, cables and boards. Buy the new head, install it, align it and get back to your profession to pay for your replacement parts. That is the cheapest solution whether you want to believe it or not. I know on paper the new head appears more expensive vs the cheap digi supplies looking tool but if that damper slips off, has a hole or defect in it and bust solvent fluid all over that area you are in big trouble and you will wish you just had to buy 1 new print head.

If you don't know how to install a new dx4 print head search this forum. You can also just make another post.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I know on paper the new head appears more expensive vs the cheap digi supplies looking tool but if that damper slips off, has a hole or defect in it and bust solvent fluid all over that area you are in big trouble and you will wish you just had to buy 1 new print head.

As much as I would like to bash my competitor, that contraption is the proper way to flush a head according to the manufacturers. Not that you are wrong though. Any time you mix fluid and electronics there is going to be a risk but it's up to each person. I have customers who run 15 machines and when their heads fail they just buy a new one and move on. You might be surprised though how many customers I have who are basically running their business paycheck to paycheck. When that is the case they will do absolutely anything to avoid buying a print head.

ProPDF

As much as I would like to bash my competitor, that contraption is the proper way to flush a head according to the manufacturers. Not that you are wrong though. Any time you mix fluid and electronics there is going to be a risk but it's up to each person. I have customers who run 15 machines and when their heads fail they just buy a new one and move on. You might be surprised though how many customers I have who are basically running their business paycheck to paycheck. When that is the case they will do absolutely anything to avoid buying a print head.

Yeah but who does the manufacture suggest use this type of tool? My guess would be a trained technician using OEM only parts or am I wrong? If the technician blows a damper full of fluid all over your machine he is covered for his error. If the OP soaked the heads in too much depth of fluid for too long the diaphragm could be ruined also.

OP said he has done everything he can but I would suggest he try unplugging the cap top tube going to the pump and sucking out what he can from there and replacing the head if it doesn't obtain satisfactory results regardless of what the manual says. This also will be a safety net for him if the diaphragm blows out he wont get a fountain of fluid shooting in his face and landing on the machine if he doesn't have the second nipple strongly covered up.

Paycheck to paycheck or not he will pay for it one way or another IF done incorrectly.