• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland DX5 head vs. OEM mutoh head

I'm looking for some feedback on what head to purchase for my VJ 1204.

I'd love to get some feedback from some who have a DX5 head. How is the performance? and how long have you successfully been running the roland head?

I have been researching and I understand they modify the roland DX5 head to work with the VJ and its a Teflon coated head which the salesperson claims will be better than a stock OEM mutoh head.

I like to believe I maintained my machine very well over our 5 year history. There has been a few head strike which have lead to the closing of some of my black nossels.

Attachments

• WP_20131212_10_35_54_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20131212_10_35_54_Pro[1].jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 127

Robert M

Roland DX 5?

Roland for years stayed with the old DX 4 heads until the VS series. At that point they went to a DX 6 print head. This head will not work in a VJ 1204. I have the OEM Mutoh VJ heads on my site at $1950.00, www.solventinkjet.com, call us for more info at 800-328-1306. I think what you may be hearing is someone trying to sell you an Epson DX 5 head. These can be a problem if they are not the solvent resistant type, or the ones programed not to print past 17"

Thank you for your reply Robert. You are correct, I did misunderstand, that's why I'm trying to do this research. The opposing head is a modified Epson DX5 head. I have a few last ditch effort I am trying with some help from a tech on my current head..

So to restate the question at hand:

I'd love to get some feedback from some who have a EPSON DX5 head. How is the performance? and how long have you successfully been running the Epson head?

I have been researching and I understand they modify the Epson DX5 head to work with the VJ and its a Teflon coated head which the salesperson claims will be better than a stock OEM mutoh head.

heyskull

Our standard mutoh print head ran on our VJ1604 for about 5 years.
I don't know whether it was the head or the head cable that failed but both were replaced.
The biggest issue is that when either of these items fails it can blow the F2 fuse but if that is not fast it can fry the motherboard (I was lucky and only the fuse blew :)
My advise to anyone running the DX5 print head is replace it every 4 years along with an OEM head cable. Any longer than this and you are looking for trouble.
As I read your original post I would say it is time to replace with a head that is for your machine don't go trying to fit something different it will only cost you later, it has done well running for 5 years even if it has had light use.

SC

inkmed

1. Roland have no DX5 head printer.

2. We have so many clients with Mutoh VJ1604, share experience about it, will advice you choose OEM Mutoh head, specially your printer is VJ1604E (eco solvent based)

Because Mutoh have to use old version DX5 head, this head price just a little bit lower than OEM Mutoh head offer.
When Epson DX5 solvent head fit on Mutoh VJ1604E, the Epson head manifold is not suitable.
Users have to use old manifold, use compatible manifold or modify the Epson manifold.
They are not not easy and will cause more cost.

So, choose the OEM Mutoh head directly for VJ1604E.
For VJ160W, choose old version DX5 water based head, can save $200 to $260 than OEM Mutoh head.

Adam Yang from Inkmed