• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland ECO ink not so ECO ???

very clear on how solvents work. Just was curious on how the little Rolands and Mutohs are so bad with Omitting VOC's VS a real production solvent printer.

again the machines need to be set up in a proper print area.With proper venting and air return.

All ink spec sheets will let you know solvent printing is hazardous no matter what......

kustom.printing

So why do they say that there are no VOC's and how bad are they really, how much exposure do you need.

I can appreciate any exposure is bad like most things but how much do we need to start seeing cancer and other diseases cause through it.

Most people even in a well vented room unless you are blown off your feet are going to smell some VOC's.

How do trade printers cope, I hardly believe they wait 24hrs for there prints to out gas.

Has anyone seen the Spec sheet for Roland Eco inks, do we have any research with ECO inks and how they can effect you in a non vented room.

Also are we talking high exposure over 20 + years !!!

andy

It's the Hydrocarbon based VOC's which I would worry about, Benzene and Toluene are particularly nasty. Most industrial paints contain Toluene and NO ONE would think it safe to spray this stuff around without the proper extraction and PPE equipment.

As someone has already mentioned the ECO in ECO solvent refers to "Economical" and has nothing to do with being good the environment.

Packaged in secure, no-mess cartridges, Roland’s EcoXtreme solvent ink is approved for use in standard shop environments when handled according to EPA guidelines. According to these guidelines, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your work environment and prevent employee exposure to VOCs and other airborne irritants. Please provide adequate ventilation at all times.

This is what Roland say on their own website. It does not say that Roland Inks are safe to use in normal shop conditions... it says Roland Inks are safe to use in normal shop conditions as long as the shop has installed the appropriate fume extraction systems. There is clear mention that VOC's are present when using ECO inks and it says it's your responsibility to ensure that they are vented properly.

ction

andy

If ECO SOL Max inks don't need ventilation according to Roland then it depends on how much you trust Roland.

If you feel that Roland can't be wrong then don't ventilate. If you think Roland will back pedal at the speed of light if your health happens to suffer as a direct result of using "safe" ink over a long time frame then perhaps a few quid spent now on extraction kit would be money well spent.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Interesting Fact # 45278012

In the entire history of cancer research, only 10 things have been found not to cause tumors in laboratory rats when force fed to them in copious quantities.

Moderation in all our exposures makes the best sense.

kustom.printing

****NEWSFLASH****

Almost everything in the world is bad in some way...

Would be interested if anyone has read the spec sheet on Roland Eco sol Inks.

kustom.printing

With excessive exposure, carbon black has been listed as a possible human carcinogen. However, as
engineered within this ink cartridge, emissions to air of carbon black during normal printing use have
not been found. IARC, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, has found printing inks to be
not classifiable as human carcinogens.

Does this mean under normal conditions (printing) that ventilation is not needed and is more a safety measure.

This information seems to make me think if I was producing these that I would have a risk, seeing as I buy them sealed and print only a few banners a day I don't need to worry (No ventilation).

This doesn't mean I won't be on the safe side and have an extractor fan, have I got this right ?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Honestly....My Roland Salesperson actually said he would drink the stuff and it wouldn't harm him! His claim is that it won't harm anything. If a rep for Roland will say that..then it MUST be true. He obviously doesn't have a bias. heh.

signage

Honestly....My Roland Salesperson actually said he would drink the stuff and it wouldn't harm him! His claim is that it won't harm anything. If a rep for Roland will say that..then it MUST be true. He obviously doesn't have a bias. heh.

I hope you didn't get him to drink it! I think he is not too bright if he claims that and/or even tried it!

cmyimage

I do believe the ECO is for Economical... not Ecological.
I agree, and Eco-solvent ink is that they add less solvent material when they make the ink, that's why solvent can last more than three years while the eco-solvent only last for a year. Anyway, Eco-solvent is still the favor choice for most of the sign shop.

Robert M

Drink it? Just say no

Eco Solvent inks are 50 to 55%

DIETHYLENE GLYCOL DIETHYL ETHER

Here is what it can do to you

Health Hazard
SYMPTOMS: Symptoms of exposure to this compound include irritation of the skin, eyes, mucous membranes and respiratory tract, coughing, dyspnea and kidney damage. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, headache and central nervous system depression. Exposure may also cause diarrhea, abdominal and lumbar pain, mild liver damage, pulmonary edema, transient polyuria, oliguria, anuria and death by acute renal failure.

ACUTE/CHRONIC HAZARDS: This compound may be harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. It is an irritant of the skin, eyes, mucous membranes and respiratory tract. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke, irritating fumes and toxic fumes of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. (NTP, 1992)
Reactivity Profile
DIETHYLENE GLYCOL DIETHYL ETHER is incompatible with strong acids. It is also incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.(NTP, 1992)

Jack Knight1979

I cut 4" hole in the top of roland and hooked it up to a fan. Sucks the platen area of my eco ink.

I still get smell with heavy printing so I made a cover over my entire printer.

I don't notice the ink anymore. I don't care what roland says. I'd rather not smell the ink.

JETBEST USA

Hey kustom.printing.

I honestly don’t believe there is such a thing as not harmful in inks that contain solvents.
The attached link shows the properties in Eco-solmax inks among which you will find Dimethyl ether and Monobutyl ether 2 highly corrosive chemicals that without proper precautions will cause irritation of the respiratory system and some stomach irritation but nothing as bad as cancer.http://www.gt.ee/download/roland/dokumendid/Material_Data_Sheet_ECOSOL.pdf

Seems to me that you are already taking the proper measures to keep yourself safe so I would not worry too much about it.If you are interested I have an alternative product from JETBEST that offers full compatibility with Eco-Solmax.To give you an idea of the savings our 440 cartridge sells for $59.00 and the 1ltr. Bottle for $89.00

Sincerely
Angel Ochoa
angel@jetbestusa.com
818-287-5899