• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland FJ600 speed

bob_5793

Hi,
I have been looking for an 8 colour Pigment machine, and Rolands FJ600 is one, albiet a little old.
We produce exhibition backdrops, walls tiled on 1.0x2.4mt drops.

Our old Thermal Encad 850, whilst very reliable lacks the consistency of Peizo technology.

I dont think we need solvent at this stage, although I understand we can convert a Roland at some point if required.
Our output volumes are too inconsistent - and so lines would dry out I'm told if using (eco) solvent inks, Water based Pigmented ink is much less hassle.

We are hoping to run the machine in Hexachrome (CMYKLmLcOG).

I am worried about the speed though, we run 6 pass 8 speed on our Encad - which does us fine, would the Roland really be much slower ? we get roughly 2/3 (2.4mt) drops per hour on the Encad - I'm unsure but understand 720dpi output would do us fine (I'm told its difficult to get accurate colour on lower res's). We can often run jobs with 10 or more drops, consistency between butting panels must be high.

We simply need something reliable.

Did they produce different versions, ie a 'pro' or a 'II' - I understand they use the DX2 or 3 head, are these still viable - or should I consider a DX4/5 machine - what is the difference between DX2/3 and DX4/5 heads. And how does it relate to keeping lines primed and maintenance - The Encad for ever requires manual priming !

Thanks.