• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland GR-540 no longer cutting

ITK2023

Hopefully someone out there has experienced something similar. My GR-540 has decided to stop cutting halfway through a job, but there are no fault codes to give guidance to find the problem.

The cutter is connected by USB and can be detected by both CutStudio and Versaworks, but if I try to print a job the cutter does everything except cut. The fans switch on and the material moves after "cutting", like there is no actual data in the job.

If I run a test cut on the machine itself it works perfectly.

I'm going to try connecting by ethernet cable rather than USB, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Edit: even better, I can't get it to connect to Versaworks by ethernet cable. I can ping the cutter from the computer with no problems, but Versaworks won't play ball.

Last edited:

ITK2023

To add some further confusion, if I cut using crop marks on something that's been printed it works fine. :rolleyes:

Following - our GR540 is having the exact same issues. I have tried cutting the machine on and off, ensuring our Cut Studio is all up to date, shutting the computer down etc. Only printed items sent from Versa Works with crop marks will be cut - nothing that just has cut lines in the Cut Studio will be cut.

Hopefully someone out there has experienced something similar. My GR-540 has decided to stop cutting halfway through a job, but there are no fault codes to give guidance to find the problem.

The cutter is connected by USB and can be detected by both CutStudio and Versaworks, but if I try to print a job the cutter does everything except cut. The fans switch on and the material moves after "cutting", like there is no actual data in the job.

If I run a test cut on the machine itself it works perfectly.

I'm going to try connecting by ethernet cable rather than USB, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Edit: even better, I can't get it to connect to Versaworks by ethernet cable. I can ping the cutter from the computer with no problems, but Versaworks won't play ball.
Uninstall the last Windows Update!! :') That solved the issue

ITK2023

Thank you, you are a life saver. I waited all day yesterday for a Roland tech to call me but didn't hear anything back. At least I can catch up on orders now!

mackasigns

Thank you, you are a life saver. I waited all day yesterday for a Roland tech to call me but didn't hear anything back. At least I can catch up on orders now!
Hi i have a roland gr540 but i cant get it to cut properly through flexisign 12 its all setup but when i send a cut file to it it seems to not understand and cuts a quick pattern. any help would be much appreciated

P&A Loizou

Hi guys, i have the same problem but i have win 11 and it suppose that it doesn't support the cutter's drivers thou the versawork part of the cutter works fine.
Any ideas? I deleted previous win update nothing happened...

mackasigns

Hi guys, i have the same problem but i have win 11 and it suppose that it doesn't support the cutter's drivers thou the versawork part of the cutter works fine.
Any ideas? I deleted previous win update nothing happened...
i realised that i was trying to cut from the controls end of the cutter, it actually starts from the other end..opposite to other cutters ive had

coltonwanderson

Sounds like everyone got it figured out, but if it helps, this was actually a known issue by Roland. That windows update messed up the communications for a lot of Roland cutters specifically. Until they update their drivers, Roland themselves will tell you to roll back the windows update.
Uninstall the last Windows Update!! :') That solved the issue

P&A Loizou

Sounds like everyone got it figured out, but if it helps, this was actually a known issue by Roland. That windows update messed up the communications for a lot of Roland cutters specifically. Until they update their drivers, Roland themselves will tell you to roll back the windows update.
That seems to work on my old pc (win 10) but in the last 2 weeks i am trying to move from an old pc to a new one (with win 11), versa GR-540 works like a beauty but cutstudio GR-540 is not. The program can tell that i have material on it and measure it but it does not want to cut it.... Please if anyone can help!!!

That seems to work on my old pc (win 10) but in the last 2 weeks i am trying to move from an old pc to a new one (with win 11), versa GR-540 works like a beauty but cutstudio GR-540 is not. The program can tell that i have material on it and measure it but it does not want to cut it.... Please if anyone can help!!!
So - it seems that the windows update that everyone was told to delete so that Roland's drivers would operate properly no longer exists on my computer. According to Roland, that's the only fix is to delete the update, and they are "staring in August" to work on a solution.

We are using Versaworks to cut on our GR540 for now - and that seems to work fine

coltonwanderson

Yes, unfortunately if you are not able to be on the Windows version previous to that specific update for any reason, you won't be able to get it to work with Cut Studio. Roland is working on a patch for the GR (They just released one for the GR2), but we don't expect to see that for another month or so.

Yes, unfortunately if you are not able to be on the Windows version previous to that specific update for any reason, you won't be able to get it to work with Cut Studio. Roland is working on a patch for the GR (They just released one for the GR2), but we don't expect to see that for another month or so.
Unfortunate, for all the GR users that rely on Cut Studio to do their business, they now have to wait a month for the patch ( like myself). :mad:

However, we were able to find a workaround it by using Versaworks to send our cut data through :)