• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland GR-540 or Graphtec FC8600-130

Quickpoint9

looking at buying a new cutter to pair with our printer. I've done some reasearch and have narrowed it down to these two. They seem to be about the same machine only the Roland has a lead time of AUG to where I can get the Graphtec in about 2 weeks. What are the pros and cons between these 2 machine

JP4

I just looked at the GR-540 on Friday. The machine looks very impressive in person. Very well built. I also took a the Graphtec FC8600. Both seem very impressive. Don't know much about the performance detail comparisons. I'll be making this exact decision end of this year. Printer/Cutters are great to start out but quickly found the benefits for individual machines.
Not much help....but there you go.
~JP

rjssigns

Of the two listed get the Graphtec. If you want the best get a Summa. Phil Johnson from Summa is great to deal with.
FYI: You may want to look at the tracking/accuracy specs on the Roland and do a bit of math.

Gene@mpls

Do you use Versaworks? That would be a huge factor, I am looking at the GR, too. I have heard of issues with it, but hoping that they are new machine probs that will be worked out by later in the year when we have to spend the $ we are banking now. I have a GX500- good cutter paired with a Roland/Versaworks setup... summa's rule otherwise.

jesselopez5000

STAY AWAY from the GR-540. Mine landed 04-04-17 and it has been a complete nightmare. I have shipped mine back to "get looked at", they shipped it back, shipped me a second one, and now they may be taking both back. I perf cut out of Versaworks Dual after printing on a VSi. The perf cuts on the GR bow in the middle so as it cuts stickers near the center pinch roller the cuts start cutting out of center and you will end up with thin borders on the bottom and thick borders on top. The stickers near the outside pinch rollers tend to look more even. It also decides to stop in the middle jobs and perform random cuts ruining the sheet (as shown here:
).

Roland has flown out to personally verify but Japan is saying that its within spec. I would wait to pull the trigger on the GR. I print / lam / cut stickers perfectly all day on my VS-540i, so I know for a fact these cutters are not in spec. Don't be a guinea pig like me!

Good luck. I am trying to get my money back to get a FC8600 or a second VSi.