• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Roland GR-640 - inconsistent force

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is there a way to calibrate the force on the Roland Camm-1 GR640 ? Cutting is terribly inconsistent, in some places it will barely kiss cut the vinyl, and in other places it will cut through the liner. It seems to happen in random locations, and especially with large curves. I'm wondering if there is some hidden place in the printer settings to somehow calibrate the force of the blade.

Boudica

The strip is in pretty good shape, just one cut in it that I can see. due to a variety of issues with this machine right out of the box, I haven't used it that much. We've had is for about 2 years, I've probably used it about 20 times.

TimToad

The knife carriage doesn't really have a lot of up or down play in it, or at least it shouldn't.

If it's cutting through in some areas and not even touching in others, it doesn't seem like a cutting pressure issue.

Have you placed a level of something really flat on the platen right over where the cutting occurs? Could that have warped somehow?

Could the rail that the knife carriage rides on have gotten bent slightly?

Boudica

I just
The knife carriage doesn't really have a lot of up or down play in it, or at least it shouldn't.

If it's cutting through in some areas and not even touching in others, it doesn't seem like a cutting pressure issue.

Have you placed a level of something really flat on the platen right over where the cutting occurs? Could that have warped somehow?

Could the rail that the knife carriage rides on have gotten bent slightly?
I just checked it with a level - no warping that I see. The bubble remains in the middle all the way across.

TimToad

I just

I just checked it with a level - no warping that I see. The bubble remains in the middle all the way across.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer.

Put the level or something really straight on platen across as much of the length as you can. Then have someone go to the back of the printer and shine a flashlight at it so you can see from the front if there are any gaps between the platen and the straightedge or level.