Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Roland GR-640 - inconsistent force

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by SignDesignGrrl, Mar 14, 2019.

1. SignDesignGrrl

SignDesignGrrl New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane
    Is there a way to calibrate the force on the Roland Camm-1 GR640 ? Cutting is terribly inconsistent, in some places it will barely kiss cut the vinyl, and in other places it will cut through the liner. It seems to happen in random locations, and especially with large curves. I'm wondering if there is some hidden place in the printer settings to somehow calibrate the force of the blade.

2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    I would suspect it's a cutting strip issue. How does it (cutting strip) look?

3. SignDesignGrrl

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane
    The strip is in pretty good shape, just one cut in it that I can see. due to a variety of issues with this machine right out of the box, I haven't used it that much. We've had is for about 2 years, I've probably used it about 20 times.

4. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

The knife carriage doesn't really have a lot of up or down play in it, or at least it shouldn't.

If it's cutting through in some areas and not even touching in others, it doesn't seem like a cutting pressure issue.

Have you placed a level of something really flat on the platen right over where the cutting occurs? Could that have warped somehow?

Could the rail that the knife carriage rides on have gotten bent slightly?

5. SignDesignGrrl

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane
    I just
    I just checked it with a level - no warping that I see. The bubble remains in the middle all the way across.

6. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer.

Put the level or something really straight on platen across as much of the length as you can. Then have someone go to the back of the printer and shine a flashlight at it so you can see from the front if there are any gaps between the platen and the straightedge or level.

• Agree Agree x 1