• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland GR-640 is cutting inconsistently

Justin Lappen

Hey all,

So here's whats happening. Our [HASHTAG]#roland[/HASHTAG] GR-640, which has been cutting great for 5 months now has just recently started cutting jobs inconsistently. By inconsistent, I mean it will cut parts of the file fine but other parts won't cut completely. In the cut piece the laminate will peel off the media and the media will tear under it on one side of the piece and on the opposite side the whole piece will peel clean until it gets to that uncut area. It shows no preference to a 2" number or team mascot, a 0 or a 4. They all can be affected or unaffected. We use a 3.5mil media with a 12mil laminate. We make sports helmet decals so they need to be thick and tough to take the beating for a season.

Cut Settings: speed-10cm/sec, force-440gf, blade offset-.100mm, overlap-1

Things we've tried so far:
- Replaced the blades (2 times)
- Replaced cut strip
- Tried a different (newer & less used) blade holder
- Adjusted speed, force, offset and overlap

The machine is only 7 months old and in the last 5 months its cut great, first two months was a big learning curve to get it right. We've had a few issues with it but changing the blade, cleaning the blade holder, changing the cut stripe, and updating [HASHTAG]#VersaWorks[/HASHTAG] have fixed them all. This time we can't seem to shake it.

The only change recently that we've made is the pressure we laminate at. Our laminator is a [HASHTAG]#gfp[/HASHTAG] cold laminator. For 5 months we had made no changes to the how we set up the laminate and the pressure we used then all of a sudden we started getting ridges on the end of rolls but it was only in the middle. There is no pressure gauge, just a hand crank to get the top roller down. After some research on here we found that it could be due to too much pressure and the top roller "bowing" in the middle. When we raised the rollers slightly so we can see just a little light through the ends where the lam and media aren't the issues with the ridges in the laminate stopped. I believe it was right around that time that this cutting issue started happening. Could that be the underlying issue here? Not enough pressure to adhere the lam to the media which creates air/space between the two and inconsistent cutting.

Any suggestions would be a huge help? We're getting backed up on orders and this is our busiest time of year. Thank you!

Justin Lappen

Most of our problems have been the blade holder- buy a bunch and replace at the first sign of problems.

Thank you, we tried a different blade holder from our XR-640 with very light use. Both machines were brand new 7 months ago and the GR has done the majority of our cutting, so I thought the XR's holder would be pretty darn close to new. It provided the same results though. I bought some new holders today so we'll see if that works.

UPDATE: A new blade and the following cut settings have helped: speed/15 force/440 offset/.1 overlap/2 (this is now cutting 3 times but seems to be doing the trick)

chapmachau

I stopped using the cheap blades. They would cut good for a couple weeks and then go bad we would get inconsistent cuts. Went back to the roland blades and ours has been fine since then.

Justin Lappen

I stopped using the cheap blades. They would cut good for a couple weeks and then go bad we would get inconsistent cuts. Went back to the roland blades and ours has been fine since then.

I'm thinking thats our issue here too. We are cutting all day long and they start to wear down after just a few days. Time to shell out a little more money for better blades. Thanks!