• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland GX-24 not cutting smoothly

Deevine

Hi everyone. I hope that someone out there knows more than I do...LOL
I have been having a problem with my Roland GX-24. It seems as though it is not cutting "smoothly"...some of the lettering that I am using has kind of a "notched" appearance almost like it didn't make a proper cut. Also, the commercial fonts that I am using do not seem as smooth and curved as they should. It doesn't say much in the manual about this and I have tried changing the blade already. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!:frustrated:

S'N'S

1. Check in the Rolands menu and see if "Smoothing" is turned on.
2. By notched do you mean it cuts slightly jagged? this is because the blade is set too deep. Take the blade holder out and with a blade in it, drag it over a scrap of vinyl like drawing a circle, the blade should cut through the vinyl and leave a faint impression in the backing (adjust until it does). Once you have that right, replace it and cut a 6-7 point star. If it lifts the points it may still be too deep. Mine usually runs around 120g down force, sometimes a little heavier depending on what type and brand of vinyl I'm using..
3. Re the fonts; I presume you mean when it cuts a O that it's not smooth all the way round, some fonts need node editing before cutting.
Cheers Gary

BobM

Had the same problem with my GX24. Went to a 60 degree Clean Cut carbide blade, changed the pressure, and I now "test cut" each job. Solved the problem. The pressure can vary as much as 20 grams between vinyls and brands.