• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland GX-24 plotter sucks

NHuckaby

I have a roland gx-24 plotter that we won at a show a few years ago and i have hated this thing forever. you cant let this thing go over night you have to baby sit it. sure do miss the gerber punch holes and just let it go forever

Mosh

Friction feed plotters have thier place, so do the old gerber sprocket ones....
I think they suck, how can you cut 6" material and 24" material on the same machine? You can't!

They are good for pulling long jobs, I will give them that.
Don't miss mine at all.

I guess I must load my roalnd plotters better, I never have them run off track.

NHuckaby

mine doesnt go off track that much its just that for some reason i have to leave the material loose in the back for it to work right

Mosh

Yeah, I know what you are talking about, nature of the beast...I pull out the amount of material I am going to run.

J Hill Designs

same here. I wouldnt even WANT to let it run overnight. but have never had the need to...

I much prefer my friction feed vs dedicated sprocket.

Haakon

A $2K desktop unit sucks because it can't cut for hours and hours unattended, something it never was designed for? This, every other Roland (or Summa for that matter) that I have worked with will stop to protect itself if the load is to heavy for the motor to pull, like yanking on a full roll loaded on the rollers.

If I load a brand new 50 yard roll, I do have to unroll the length of media used for the job in hand so it is loose in the back.

If you need a machine to run for hours and hours, get a machine that does not rely on friction to pull the media through. Not an entry level desktop unit :)

BobM

I have eight years of daily use on my GX24 and Camm One 30. As a matter of course, I always unroll enough material to keep it from pulling off a heavy roll. I have never had a cutter failure that took anything more than a new blade, wear strip or worn out roller replacement.

You just have to understand a machines limitations.

Haakon

Not all friction feed machines are starter "desktop" machines....

That is true.. And also not what I'm saying. The GX-24 is an entry level desktop machine, I know it very well and use mine every day.

The ones especially made for very long runs are most likely sprocket type ones, where misaligment over distance is a non-issue.

I've yet to see any friction fed cutters that are marketed towards these operations, although something like a Summa S class with take up reel can do reasonably long runs. But the Gerber Edge with its bombsight plotter at my old workplace would easily go through a whole 15" wide roll of media in one go.

The GX-24 however, is only rated within accuracy levels up to 112" (300cm) long runs by Roland themselves. Perfectly fine for desktop use though.

Saying that the GX-24 suck because it can't run for hours and hours unattended is like saying it sucks because it can't cut 30" wide media. Get the right machine for the job at hand and all is well.

Mr_Disaster

I have my GX24 for about 4 years and I only had a few small issues with disalignment but there are some things to consider...

- I use to loose the ammount of material to be used when it means long cuts, specially if is a heavy roll.

- Decrease the UP SPEED, so it wont be pulling too fast a taking the risk of an error.

- Try to find a better reel stand for the material rather than the small plastic that comes with the machine, so the material will run smoother.

weaselboogie

To get the best tracking, make sure your rollers are clean. I sometimes get adhesive and crap build-up which usually throws it for a slight curve on my friction fed machine. I use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and run the media back and forth until its clean.

SlightlyChilled

Well seeing that it was free and you don't like it I know some one that would love it. A friand needs one. He likes mine and I know how they work...

visual800

I bought one of of desperation when my old ve died it was a POS I didnt have it one week before it went on ebay. Constant babysitting and would cut over 10' without screwing up

We use a GX-24 and have had no problems with it at all in over a year of use. We have run upwards of 20 yards of material before having to realign the roll. We also feed 10 yards rolls without pulling out excess material and get no motor errors. Of course if you use a 50 yard roll the same way you're going to have problems. It has it's limitations, but I think it's a very good cutter for what it's intended purpose is. As was said the GX-24 is entry level. If you want something better, but the next step up or look into a Summa. You really can't expect a whole lot from a cutter at the $2000-2500 price point, IMO.

hamptonroad

McRae's Print & Hardware has owned a Roland PMC 1100 24" since 1991 that still works.
I have not offered it for sale, but am sure someone would give me a few hundred dollars since it still works to use as an entry level sign shop and yes if I forget to unwind the roll a few feet the tracking will be effected. Just learned to live with that and make my signs anyway.

OldPaint

sorry to inform the OP.........IT IS YOU NOT THE PLOTTER THAT IS DIS-FUNCTIONAL)))))
I CAN SAY THIS.....BECAUSE:
i have owned nothing but ROLANDS since 1993!!!!!
PNC-1000, 2-PNC-1100, & AND CX-300!!!!! if you learn how to load the material, pre run it forward, and then roll it in reverse on "exceptional" long runs.......YOU WILL NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.
as for running it all night....thats ridiculous. and if your doing that much business i would be taking the other posters offer on the 30" sprocket feed.