• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland issue?

niksagkram

Hi gang. Recently started having issues with our Rolands, VG-540 and XC-540. Starting to get "spots" throughout the print, usually shows up more on reds. Both printers use different ink sets (OEM) and it happens on different vinyls. I have attached a couple of pictures of a job I just printed on Avery Translucent. I have a feeling it's environmentally caused, but by what? I pre-feed every job and wipe down. If I do a strong clean before each job it helps for a while but the issue does return. Any thoughts?
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3077.JPG

Thanks,

Mark

niksagkram

Why would you wipe down your media and what are you wiping it with?
I have always wiped down my media, just to get rid of any dust that might show in the print. It's just a habit I got into years ago when our print environment wasn't the cleanest.I use lint free wipealls, dry.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like contamination of some liquid or moist condition. It could very easily be in the ink cartridge itself..... or maybe with what you're using to wipe it with, but it looks to symmetrical for something done by hand.

OADesign

Looks more like a media contamination issue to me. I've had bad rolls from various vendors. 30 yards in, have full on hand prints. Dust/debris. Even Doritos crumbs. It all leads to odd fish eyes similar to what your seeing. All the vendors were clad to replace rolls, after a few email with forensic photos...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It definitely looks like some sort of liquid is contaminating the vinyl. Since it happens on multiple vinyls I am assuming it's coming from the printer itself. Check your pinch rollers to make sure there isn't some sort of grease on there. The first image looks like it might be related to the pinch roller. Other than that, sometimes grease will fall from the rail as the head moves back and forth which would cause this type of pattern.

TimToad

I have always wiped down my media, just to get rid of any dust that might show in the print. It's just a habit I got into years ago when our print environment wasn't the cleanest.I use lint free wipealls, dry.

So, you unroll material that is manufactured in a mostly sterile environment and rolled tightly by a machine in the factory and shipped in both a plastic bag and a box in order to wipe it down with something in your shop that could absorb some kind of contaminate?

Do you roll it out on a table or something before wiping?

We store our media upright on the plastic end caps its shipped in after slipping the plastic bag it came in back over it and we use white, cotton lab gloves to handle the rolls while loading.

niksagkram

Thanks for the input guys. Because it was happening on both printers, I was thinking it could be a vinyl issue, or the environment. We did move to a new shop 6 months ago, and it's not ideal printing conditions, but this issue happened in the old shop too, just not has bad. I will take a closer look at the printers, maybe there is something happening with the rail that the print head runs on. Also, the vinyls I had issues with are different manufacturers, Avery and Oracal.

Joe House

I had to help a shop with a similar situation. After a bunch of phone consulting I finally went onsite and found that they had an overhead air vent blowing directly on the back side of their printer. It was constantly blowing contamination on the supply side of the printer which, of course, caused fish eyes like this. A good duct cleaning and new furnace filter later, the problem was solved. They eventually moved the printer so that it wasn't in the line of fire, so to speak.

niksagkram

I had to help a shop with a similar situation. After a bunch of phone consulting I finally went onsite and found that they had an overhead air vent blowing directly on the back side of their printer. It was constantly blowing contamination on the supply side of the printer which, of course, caused fish eyes like this. A good duct cleaning and new furnace filter later, the problem was solved. They eventually moved the printer so that it wasn't in the line of fire, so to speak.
That could well be an issue too. Not a vent, but one of the printers is against a 4' tall wall on a mezzanine, and our shop where we silk screen, embroider and generally put things together are right below. Also, a 16' overhead door, which today has been mostly open. So, like I said, not ideal printing conditions. No climate control/venting whatsoever. :(

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhh.......... your neighbor is out grilling and the minute grease popping off the ribs is becoming airborne and landing on your vinyl. Yep, that's the ticket. Smells good, though..............

niksagkram

Ahhh.......... your neighbor is out grilling and the minute grease popping off the ribs is becoming airborne and landing on your vinyl. Yep, that's the ticket. Smells good, though..............
No wonder my mouth waters every time I load vinyl on that printer! Maybe I should start printing scratch and sniff posters for burger joints!

Phenson

I have had the same issue recently, It is the black print on the back of the paper liner that says what the vinyl is. In my case It is Avery clear laminate, I,m printing in reverse and get the same look as your photo on the printed face and I realised it lined up with the print on the liner.