• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland LEF 20 Damper - Difficult Access - Replacement - Help

Able

Hello All,
I would be very pleased if I could get some help with my LEF 20, which we have had for a little above one year now. 50% or more of the black is missing as shown in the attached test print. I have as a result changed all the captops as advised by my dealer (the first time for the machine); soaked the head on the captop and drawn ink from the captop tubes but no remedy yet. Presently, I want to check the condition of the black damper to see if it has a problem. My challenge is that even though I have a VS540 and BN 20, I have never changed their dampers before as test prints are okay and performance have been okay as well. Access to the dampers of the LEF 20 is set up in such away that i find it difficult to proceed without help/advice (please see attached picture taken after the head carriage cover was opened to reveal the dampers):
1. As shown at the picture, there is a metal bar ("the metal bar") padded underneath it with a foam like material sitting lightly on or above the dampers all wrapped in silver-like foil [So one cannot even see the condition of the dampers]. It appears that the metal bar has to be removed even before accessing the damper.
2. It also appears that the white and gloss ink lines/tubes going into the damper has to be removed first in order to make room for the removal of the metal bar before the damper can be unfoiled and removed. Correct?
3. I have read in this forum that with some of the Roland models VS/VSI etc, there is an 'ink choke' that needs to be switched on before the ink tube going into the damper can be removed, otherwise the ink would flow out of the unchoked ink tube and perhaps spill unto the head area with its attendant consquences. As the LEF 20 is a new Roland model, my suspicion is that it may have this ink choke. Please is this the case and if it does have an ink choke, where can I find the ink choke of the LEF 20?
4. Are there other areas of the printer I should be checking for the solution.
Your assistance would be most appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• second test print.jpg
    second test print.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Head Carriage Cover Opened.jpg
    Head Carriage Cover Opened.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 660

CS-SignSupply

LEF-20 has no choke valve.

How many shots on the heads? Checked the pump for clogged lines?

Recommend having a dealer do the service and be sure NO UV LIGHT GETS TO THE PRINTHEADS/DAMPERS/CAPTOPS/ETC.

Exposing this ink to UV light while in the printer can result it severe problems/damage.

Unplug the power, remove the screws holding the metal bar. Rotate the bar and pull out to one side (left) being careful not to damage ink lines or pull dampers off.

Remove damper, remove protective foil, remove and replace damper putting foil back on. CAREFUL. Plug damper back onto head. Replace bar and covers. Cap head and manually pull ink from bottom of captop.

Again, if you are slightly unsure of your abilities to service this printer, get a dealer to do it for you.

Able

LEF-20 has no choke valve.

How many shots on the heads? Checked the pump for clogged lines?

Recommend having a dealer do the service and be sure NO UV LIGHT GETS TO THE PRINTHEADS/DAMPERS/CAPTOPS/ETC.

Exposing this ink to UV light while in the printer can result it severe problems/damage.

Unplug the power, remove the screws holding the metal bar. Rotate the bar and pull out to one side (left) being careful not to damage ink lines or pull dampers off.

Remove damper, remove protective foil, remove and replace damper putting foil back on. CAREFUL. Plug damper back onto head. Replace bar and covers. Cap head and manually pull ink from bottom of captop.

Again, if you are slightly unsure of your abilities to service this printer, get a dealer to do it for you.

Many many thanks Bobby. My Dealer is in Europe (UK) and I am in Africa. I would have loved to have a qualified tech perform the check and replacement, if replacement is eventually required but non is available. I get the dealer's support via telephone and emails, except for now, their recommendations have usually led to resolution of any challenges we have had on our rolands.
Sorry I am not very proficient with the lingo yet. Please what are "shots on the head" and how do I check the pumps for clogged lines on this machine.? What I did after changing the three captops was to put some roland cleaning fluid in the captops, park the head on the captops and gently drew one syringe full of inks from each captop tube and an additional full syringe for the black. [Thanks to the technique as had been described in this forum for other rolands that had lost some or part of their colours on nozzle check]. This actually improved the test print result to the level that I posted. Prior to that, the cyan had much more deflections. The last time we changed the wiper was about one week ago after changing the captops; and that made it the 2nd time since the printer was bought about a little over one year.
Thanks for the UV light warning, i guess this is why the ink tubes are black and the damper wrapped in foil.
regarding my abilities to service the printer, I really have no choice right now and you cannot imagine my gratitude for simplifying the LEF 20 damper replacement process. What do I have to do or see to determine if the damper is bad or okay?
Looking forward to hearing from you and other members who can help. Many many thanks.