• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROLAND OPINION

PrintGod31

All Hail Johannes gutenberg
Was wondering if any shops use strictly Roland Printer and plotters?? What do you think?? Fav model??? Quality Good???

rjssigns

Was wondering if any shops use strictly Roland Printer and plotters?? What do you think?? Fav model??? Quality Good???

Sold my SP540V about a year ago. Was a good runner. Not so sure about the new rigs though. As far as contour cutting get a Summa. Don't get a print/cut device no matter what the sales rep tells you. Even though my 540 cut it didn't hold register over more than 4 or 5 feet. Again technology advances and things may have gotten better, can't say for sure.

PrintGod31

Sold my SP540V about a year ago. Was a good runner. Not so sure about the new rigs though. As far as contour cutting get a Summa. Don't get a print/cut device no matter what the sales rep tells you. Even though my 540 cut it didn't hold register over more than 4 or 5 feet. Again technology advances and things may have gotten better, can't say for sure.

Whats size summa do you currently have??

rjssigns

Whats size summa do you currently have??

I own a Summa D140 54". Bought a demo from a show almost two years ago. So far the only ruined jobs were my own fault.

I think Phil from Airmark(formerly Summa) was on the forum with specials.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Your best bet is usually to get the 64”. Better to have than not need than to need and not have.

Most printers currently are 64” as standard so it’d be a real PITA having to use a smaller roll than your printer can actually do because your cutter is too small.

So probably depends on the width of your printer and if you’re planning any upgrade(s)

Gene@mpls

I have had 3 Rolands before the current RF-640 and have had very little trouble with them. The RF is cmykX2 so prints faster. Most common medias are 54" and we use a 54" Roland cutter[GR] and it is a very smooth, moneymaking workflow. Once in a while it is handy to have 60" banner material.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
I own a Summa D140 54". Bought a demo from a show almost two years ago. So far the only ruined jobs were my own fault.

I think Phil from Airmark(formerly Summa) was on the forum with specials.

We definitely have some great specials on the Summa cutters right now and I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have. For contour cutting, nothing beats a Summa! Feel free to PM me here on the site or you can email me at philj@airmark.com if there's anything I can do to help.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778. ext 112
philj@airmark.com

PrintGod31

Awesome, yea I have a Roland vs-540i, and its been a champ. And been looking at new RF 640. The price point is so good that it kinda is too good lol

Saturn

Aging Member
I'd also ask Phil at Airmark about the Epson printers he sells. It's twice as heavy, but the 40600 he sells should compare VERY favorably on quality and price compared to any Roland.

Add a Summa and you're off to the races.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
I would definitely consider one of the Epson printers as well. Print speeds, color gamut, consumables cost all compare very favorably. I can provide you with some sample output also if that would be helpful.

If you want to see some pricing for the Summa or the Epson, or if you want to compare them to the Roland options you are considering, please PM or email me your contact info to philj@airmark.com and we can setup a time to chat about options.

Thanks for the consideration!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Ready

Ready To Go

I have a Summa D140. My first shop had a Mimaki CG-160 that I used for 6 years and the subsequent owner sold the shop about 4 years later with the Mimaki still working hard. I've had 2 Summas and the current one is the replacement. Works fine, just DOES NOT compare to the Mimaki plotter.

Look carefully at these devices.

Bob P

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Bob,

Just curious, in which ways do the Summa cutters not compare favorably with the Mimaki cutters? Much better tracking and cutting accuracy on the Summa cutters and I think most users on this site would agree.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

PrintGod31

I have a Summa D140. My first shop had a Mimaki CG-160 that I used for 6 years and the subsequent owner sold the shop about 4 years later with the Mimaki still working hard. I've had 2 Summas and the current one is the replacement. Works fine, just DOES NOT compare to the Mimaki plotter.

Look carefully at these devices.

Bob P
Yea the first shop I worked at had a mimaki and it was on point.