• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROLAND OR MIMAKI?

landdesigns

Hello, I have decide to upgrade My Printer /Cutter, I currently have a Roland VS-540 and Use Coreldraw and Versaworks with it. I was thinking of getting another Roland But a salesmen who sells both brands was bragging up the Mimaki, I was wondering if switch from Roland to Mimaki is diffucult , Is the Versaworks easier to work with compared to the Mimaki software , and I use the Roland Color System for designs all the time and does Mimaki Have a colorsystem? I just looking for some Advice on with brand is better in everybody's opinion?

Thhank You

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I would personally choose Roland Versaworks over Mimaki's Rasterlink.

Rasterlink is a joke. We spent a couple days trying to use it then just switched everything over to Onyx.

I can't really comment on the build of the solvent Mimakis as I've never run one before, we just have the UCJV model. But I can say that after operating the Mimaki all day and going back to the Roland, the Roland is a lot more user-friendly and common sense. The Mimaki (UV) prints great but takes forever to do anything, lots of thinking and waiting and wasting time. It does have the built in cutter but the workflow out of Rasterlink is awful and I honestly forgot it can even cut vinyl - we strictly use it as a printer and cut everything on our Summa flatbed or roll plotters.

I do realize it's not a fair comparison since the Mimaki is UV and needs to warm up the ink etc., but I would never even consider a Mimaki solvent as a next option.

Just my (biased) two cents... maybe some Mimaki solvent users have had better experiences.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It does have the built in cutter but the workflow out of Rasterlink is awful and I honestly forgot it can even cut vinyl - we strictly use it as a printer and cut everything on our Summa flatbed or roll plotters.

I've never met someone who liked Rasterlink lol. Although a new version is out that claims to be better. As for the cutting issues, it's usually the tech who trains you that makes the difference. A lot of them use FineCut for print/cut for some reason and I don't know why. Rasterlink will detect the "CutContour" spot color just like Versaworks. You don't have to use the FineCut plug-in at all. That wasn't always the case so I think some techs just stick with what they know.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I hate rasterlink with a fiery passion. It does what it needs to do but it looks like it was made in 1990 and isn’t user friendly at all.

It’s a shame as rasterlink 5 was actually pretty good. Visually a lot easier to sort everything out too.

We switched our mimaki to onyx and life is much better now, though. RL is pretty limited.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I never thought that rasterlink was any worse or more difficult to use than versaworks. What's everyone's gripe with it? We have a cjv150 and if I had to replace mine today it would be with the exact same machine.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
It’s a free bit software (providing you bought the machine). And it shows. 10 mins of using onyx for the Colorado and I’d decided to switch the mimaki over already.

obviously now I compare it to a third party RIP that *has* to be good but onyx is just a world ahead.

Main things I didn’t like were the jobs screen. It’s so messy especially with showing print and cut jobs as two separate parts - why?

Visually it looks poop. Considering you’re running a machine that prints for (usually) creative people. It’s horrible to look at.

It’s limited, no options to add intermittent grommet marks, pretty sure you can’t scale cut jobs within the RIP, profiling is a PITA and if you want to use anything that’s not mimaki based (such as our summa) you need to use plugins and it takes away any sort of automation such as stepping up in the RIP.

All that being said, we still have a CJV30 and it’s an absolute tank. Their machines are great. I’ve always found it’s easy to work with, maintenance is easy and it’s very reliable. The thing might as well have been printing money for 10 years.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It’s a free bit software (providing you bought the machine). And it shows. 10 mins of using onyx for the Colorado and I’d decided to switch the mimaki over already.

obviously now I compare it to a third party RIP that *has* to be good but onyx is just a world ahead.

Main things I didn’t like were the jobs screen. It’s so messy especially with showing print and cut jobs as two separate parts - why?

Visually it looks poop. Considering you’re running a machine that prints for (usually) creative people. It’s horrible to look at.

It’s limited, no options to add intermittent grommet marks, pretty sure you can’t scale cut jobs within the RIP, profiling is a PITA and if you want to use anything that’s not mimaki based (such as our summa) you need to use plugins and it takes away any sort of automation such as stepping up in the RIP.

All that being said, we still have a CJV30 and it’s an absolute tank. Their machines are great. I’ve always found it’s easy to work with, maintenance is easy and it’s very reliable. The thing might as well have been printing money for 10 years.

Agreed. Onyx and other standalone RIP software (caldera etc) are heaps better than the entry level printer RIP software like mimaki, rolland, Mutoh etc.

Notarealsignguy

It's basic RIP software that honestly works fine and is pretty simple to use. I like it better than versaworks. Not really fair to compare it to other full featured RIPs that cost thousands.

DesignCreationsNJ

Design Creations NJ
For me, it has always been like Coke v Pepsi. Those who own a Roland will usually remain Roland loyal unless they have a terrible experience and then they make the jump and vice versa. If you are used to the features you are working with Roland, you'll find yourself in the position of "Hey wheres this?" and "Cant it do this?"
The software yes, I have heard all of the same commentary. Versaworks is a much more user friendly interface. My position will always be standing with Roland

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It's basic RIP software that honestly works fine and is pretty simple to use. I like it better than versaworks. Not really fair to compare it to other full featured RIPs that cost thousands.

May be not fair to compare basic OEM software to Standalone software,
But you shouldn't buy a printer because of the software it comes with.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Both Hardware platforms are from Japan, and are very solid Builds, Roland does a better job of providing the whole package with the versa Works RIP with the Profiles that are really needed. Roland also required anyone that carried their brand to be able to support it and requires that any techs are certified by them with their training, Mimaki doesn't require that. as far as the Rip, both have strengths and weaknesses, it just a matter of what you get used to like DesignCreationsNJ says, coke vs. pepsi. Make sure you understand the OEM Ink Policies of both manufacturers and the chip parameters on the cartridges. (Especially if your adding white)

rjssigns

Some things about the Mimaki's: On board cleaning cartridge that when empty you're dead in the water. Also don't care for the automatic pinch roll setting on the cut print models. Sheet cut function takes way too many steps to use. My Mutoh has a button on the control that says CUT. Really not a fan of Rasterlink or FineCut. Cumbersome interface with too many steps to get things done.
Take up reel is very basic with no dancer bar for even tension. Quality is meh.
Machines themselves seem to be built well.

RIP wise between the two? Versaworks all the way. Stupid simple to use.

My qualifications to make these statements: I've run Versaworks, Onyx, ErgoSoft, Flexi and Rasterlink/FineCut in professional environments. Currently run a Mutoh at my shop. At present I'm back with Flexi and see no reason to change.

brdesign

From my experience comparing an older model Roland to an even older Mimaki, I liked the Mimaki better.

The Roland being newer did have better print quality but less color accuracy using Versaworks, compared to the Mimaki using Onyx, although the colors were very consistent on the Roland. I hated how long it took for the prints to dry on the Roland, with the Mimaki laminating prints the same day or even in just a few hours wasn't much of an issue. Some of the Roland prints would be sticky for days. To me Roland equipment and software just has a weird way of doing things compared to the other manufacturers that I had trouble getting used to. Versaworks is better than Rasterlink, but I prefer Onyx over both. Roland was easier to change print heads and seemed to get by with a little less daily maintenance before it would affect print quality.

Andy D

I don't know about the print/cut Mimaki, or the stand alone Roland, but I preferred my stand alone Mimaki much more than my print/cut Roland, because;
- The Mimaki had two cartridges' per color, like the Roland, but the Mimaki would pull from one until it was empty & switch to the other, the Roland pulls from both at the same time for some stupid reason.
- The Roland's take-up is very hard to setup correctly.
- The Roland's plot is sub-standard, but as I said, I have no idea how the plotter on the Mimaki's print/plot does.
- I preferred Rasterlink over Versaworks, but neither is great.

I think I would opt for a latex HP and Summa plotter over Roland or Mimaki & I would stay away from print/plot combos.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Roland also required anyone that carried their brand to be able to support it and requires that any techs are certified by them with their training, Mimaki doesn't require that.

Mimaki gives dealers a choice. If you choose to be a servicing dealer, you get better pricing on the printers and you are required to be trained before selling the machine. That being said, they aren't going to avoid a sale just because the dealer isn't trained so you're correct that you should find out if your dealer is trained on the machine before buying it with Mimaki. If you choose not to be a servicing dealer, Mimaki services them but then you have to wait for a guy to fly out.

Notarealsignguy

Some things about the Mimaki's: On board cleaning cartridge that when empty you're dead in the water. Also don't care for the automatic pinch roll setting on the cut print models. Sheet cut function takes way too many steps to use. .
I guess we each have different experiences with the machine. I like the auto pinch roller setting, there's nothing to think about with it when you swap different width rolls. Sheet cut you just hit down once then cut/enter. I swear that we have run our cleaning cartridge empty but even so our tech said it can be ran with or without it. Compared to my old Roland, I seem to hardly ever have to clean it and would assume some of that is because it has an on-board cleaning cartridge.

rjssigns

I guess we each have different experiences with the machine. I like the auto pinch roller setting, there's nothing to think about with it when you swap different width rolls. Sheet cut you just hit down once then cut/enter. I swear that we have run our cleaning cartridge empty but even so our tech said it can be ran with or without it. Compared to my old Roland, I seem to hardly ever have to clean it and would assume some of that is because it has an on-board cleaning cartridge.

Spot on. Different experiences. Not knocking the print quality or speed. A different RIP would help a lot too.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I would stick with Roland if that's what your used to. They are a great machine, maybe not the best, but they get the job done with not a lot of hassle. I would however strongly advise against getting a SG or VG, if you want new go with the SG2 or VG2. But in my personal opinion, if you can get your hands on a gently used or new VSi series, they are my personal favorite in the newer models. If you want a great work horse that is easy to fix and keep running like a champion the SP-300V or SP-300i are my top choice. They are for sure obsolete and used is the only way to get them, but you get more bang for your buck (you can also get into the service menu without a service tech, unlike the new models using TR2 inks). Hope this helps.

mcclaysign

Manager
I would personally choose Roland Versaworks over Mimaki's Rasterlink.

Rasterlink is a joke. We spent a couple days trying to use it then just switched everything over to Onyx.

I can't really comment on the build of the solvent Mimakis as I've never run one before, we just have the UCJV model. But I can say that after operating the Mimaki all day and going back to the Roland, the Roland is a lot more user-friendly and common sense. The Mimaki (UV) prints great but takes forever to do anything, lots of thinking and waiting and wasting time. It does have the built in cutter but the workflow out of Rasterlink is awful and I honestly forgot it can even cut vinyl - we strictly use it as a printer and cut everything on our Summa flatbed or roll plotters.

I do realize it's not a fair comparison since the Mimaki is UV and needs to warm up the ink etc., but I would never even consider a Mimaki solvent as a next option.

Just my (biased) two cents... maybe some Mimaki solvent users have had better experiences.

I agree, the uv Mimaki takes awhile and I don't use the cutting much. It's our secondary printer. We do have 2 of the solvent Mimaki printers and they are great!! We hardly ever have problems with them, just keep them clean.
I have only used rasterlink so I like it but maybe if I ever used something else then I would like it better.

rvolkers

Hello, I have decide to upgrade My Printer /Cutter, I currently have a Roland VS-540 and Use Coreldraw and Versaworks with it. I was thinking of getting another Roland But a salesmen who sells both brands was bragging up the Mimaki, I was wondering if switch from Roland to Mimaki is diffucult , Is the Versaworks easier to work with compared to the Mimaki software , and I use the Roland Color System for designs all the time and does Mimaki Have a colorsystem? I just looking for some Advice on with brand is better in everybody's opinion?

Thhank You
we have a mimaki - love it - we use ONLY illustrator/photoshop and rasterlink 6 and illustrator cymk/rgb color OR PMS colors - rasterlink6 is very easy to use once you get used to all the options