• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland or third party wipers?

WI

The thing that concerns me about budgeting on a wiper is that this is a component that touches the most important parts of the most important machine in your shop.

Print heads cost thousands of dollars to replace. Spring for the OEM wipers.

CanuckSigns

we got 3rd party wipers once from our roland dealer, they were horrible, they were super stiff and no flexability, so they kept jamming against the bit of plastic that wipes the wipers.

Mike F

The thing that concerns me about budgeting on a wiper is that this is a component that touches the most important parts of the most important machine in your shop.

+1, why try to fix what ain't broke?

kanini

+1 You know the Roland ones work, they fit directly and they don't break suddently one evening when you are in the middle of a bigger print run...

Gene@mpls

I have used JV3 blades (on 2 Rolands) from Fellers for 8 years with no issues- now what they offer is Triangle blades I see- Triangle is mild solvent so more chemically resistant I would think. 10= $34.50

bayviewsignworks

Ok Ok - I love OEM too. This is a forum - I'm looking for FEEDBACK - not wisecracks. I just went through like 8 of them due to the machine cleaning too often - which they're still trying to resolve, having something to do with the ink chip reader. $100.00 on wipers on one job - yeah that's a worry to all you smart asses out there. Beyond that yeah I look at every cent we spend on stuff - don't you?. As I said OEM all the way here and no it's not worth risking a more serious problem.

Gene@mpls - where are you getting them for $10 - we're paying $12.50 ea.

WI

Ah, see? We didn't have all the information. Is the machine still under warranty? If it is, you might be able to make a case for them covering the cost of all the wipers that it's eating.

bayviewsignworks

It's a VP so it's prob out of warranty. We're the second owner. Still cleaning too much. Black print head has a lot of missing dots but still prints pretty good. They were going to replace the chip board that all four readers go into. Not happy.

Gene@mpls

I have used JV3 blades (on 2 Rolands) from Fellers for 8 years with no issues- now what they offer is Triangle blades I see- Triangle is mild solvent so more chemically resistant I would think. 10= $34.50

Fellers... 10 blades for $34.50? Not sure where the $10 came from?

splizaat

I use aftermarket WHITE rubber wipers - couldn't tell you the brand cuz I don't know...I don't use them cuz I save money, I use them because they last about three times as long as the roland ones...and they were recommended to me by a few techs.

Jim Hill

Since I just had the Roland tech out here yesterday I think I can answer that question for you.

I used after market wipers and because they were just a little bit thicker then the Roland wipers the carriage they ride on was hanging up each time it was trying to work.

It would make a wild sound like the gears were stripping and not properly wipe the heads which was causing an ink spot each time the printer was trying to print.

Once the tech saw this and changed the wipers to the new Roland it worked perfectly again so to answer your question I would NOT USE after market wipers and when you look at the cost difference it is just not worth the problems it might create.

Jim Hill

CropMarks

A lot of the third party wipers that I used on my old converted sj540 were pretty stiff and they didn't seem to do all that great of a job.

splizaat

Jesus...I pay $6.90 each for my wipers...and they're aftermarket rubber, and they work flawless. I think assuming all aftermarket wipers don't work is a bit uneducated.

Jim Hill

Jesus:

The problem becomes how do you know which after market wipers work and which ones won't without going through the trail and error method first.

The cost between the Roland wipers and the after market stuff is really not a great deal of money for the problems it might create.

I really thought my after market wipers were doing a good job until the tech showed me the problem and once he changed them it was like night and day the difference.

In my case I was getting a drop on ink every once in a while on the vinyl and I thought the material was moving but it was the wipers not hitting the heads correctly that caused the problem.

Like I said for the few dollars of difference it's not worth the down time to me.

Just my opinion and I understand others will have their opinion.

Jim Hill