• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland PC-60 Print heads - Big Issues

MEISTER

Ok, So my print head went bad a few weeks ago. I went though the normal procedures to test it and it for sure was bad.

So I order a print head from the same company in China that manufactures them for Roland. $670. (ouch) This is the second time I bought from them and did not have any issues last time.

So I purchased the head from China. They send the print head and a place to download the app and specific density calibration for my specific print head. I install the head and then try to run all the head density adjustments. It won't work so I contact the manufacture. Between 5-6 emails and 7 days, I finally convey to them that they did not give me the correct files, wrong calibration file, wrong app with the wrong app name in the wrong language. (Japanese) I move on an adjust everything else in the mean time, Voltage, position etc....

Finally, after over a week, I get all the correct stuff and the density app still doesn't work. So I contact the manufacture again and we go back and fourth 5-6 more times trying to get the app to work. I got all the other calibrations done, I just need to get the destiny correct. The guy in China says to just run with out it and see how it works. So I test it and it looks like poo, kind like it was really dusty. So I clean the head with the proper tools and solution, still looks bad.

So being frustrated with the 12 hour time delay, I call Roland's 1.800 number and get Joe in their service department. (Nice Guy BTW!)

We trouble shoot and figure out that the app and file must be on a floppy. He give me the correct DOS command to run and it works! YEAH! ( the command is: "pc60spf /y [???-????.TEI]". (no quotes) Service manual says to use /L. but Joe said to try /B or /Y)

So I do another test Still the same. ERRR!!!!

So I call Joe back, trouble shoot some more stuff and everything checks out just fine. He says that the head is probably bad, but the dude from China is saying that it's just fine and is brand new.

Any one have any suggestions?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you really want a suggestion.... I'd consider buying a head locally, like you should've done in the first place...... and get your machine running. Then take the time to argue with your Chinaman.

MEISTER

I really don't want to hear your suggestion unless it's positive.

Either way, You can't buy the heads. Roland will only sell to authorized service repair shops and you have to pay to have them installed. Personally I don't want to pay $1000 to have someone install a print head when I can do it myself.

Last edited:

mopar691

Well I have sent in my PC-600 for head replacement again, I get about 2 years or more out of them. About 700 all said and done with shipping. And from what i hear from everyone who has done this themself it is costing no less to do it yourself or have roland do it.