• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Plotter

signguy35

I have a Roland GX24 plotter. great machine for what I do. I replaced my blade after over time bumping up my pressure over time. Now I am getting jagged cuts and cuts not all the way to the corners of letters. I oiled the blade cartridge so the blade moves easily. Can any of you think why i would be getting inconsistent cutting out of a new blade?

ALso what does everybody do for cleaning and oiling the moving parts on these machines.
Thanks

OldPaint

(WE) who dont cut the heck out of the cutting strip......i think i have replace one since 1992.........and it was on a used roland i bought.
for simple test to see if that is your problem..........pull it out, TURN IT OVER.......and put back in place.............if it stops the problem then BUY A NEW ONE.
and dont judge ROLANDS by the CX-24. these are made as "entry level" plotters and not built like a CAMM1 ROLAND. 2 totally different plotters.

signguy35

I guess now that I am looking at it I do have the Camm1 Servo like you stated. its a great machine and i dont feel that the strip is cut to heck. Maybe it is the blade holder. How do you remove the strip and turn it over? I thought those were in there with an adhesive and could only be one way.

Tizz

Had a similar issue, new blade and jagged edges on vertical lines only. Found out it was the blade that was the problem.

S'N'S

I have got 9years out of my GX24 cutting strip and it's hardly got a mark on it.

1. pull the blade holder out and unscrew the bit at the blade tip all the way off and check for small bits of vinyl stuck in there, if you cut a lot of small stuff you will have slithers of vinyl in there. While off, lube the bearing.

2. Replace blade and screw the adjustable bit until you can just feel the tip of the blade with your finger. Hold the holder by hand and draw a circle on scrap vinyl (holding it as vertical as you can), adjust until it cuts thru the vinyl and leaves a faint mark in the backing. If it cuts the backer....it's too deep. Too deep will also cause jagged cuts.

3. Replace the holder and do a test cut and adjust down-force until you get the perfect cut thru the vinyl with a light mark on the backer.

4. Check blade offset in your software and some software has an overcut feature.

Ebay blades and other cheap ones are crap ....... try Cleancut Blades made in USA (I only use these blades as they last a long time when adjusted correctly) http://www.cleancutblade.com/

Good hint is to get 2-3 spare holders and have the right blades and preset to cut various vinyls, I have one for Cast, 1 for Polymeric & 1 for Reflective so I don't have to swap blades and readjust all time.
You may know all this, but may help someone else.

Cheers

ams

I've had my GX-24 for 6 1/2 years and have never oiled anything ,I've changed the cutting strip twice due to idiot employees who think maximum pressure is the key to everything.

S'N'S

I've had my GX-24 for 6 1/2 years and have never oiled anything ,I've changed the cutting strip twice due to idiot employees who think maximum pressure is the key to everything.

Lol, yeah, I don't care what the downforce shows, I adjust until I get the perfect cut leaving a mark on the backer. Too many focus on the downforce.