• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Print Studio

rjssigns

With a $2000 price point I don't think there will be any users. It's a lot of coin to spend on a RIP that will only run Roland equipment.

DirtyD

I saw in another post that Synergy Jim was testing it out yesterday - you could ask him or search for the post it was yesterday I believe

WildWestDesigns

With a $2000 price point I don't think there will be any users. It's a lot of coin to spend on a RIP that will only run Roland equipment.

I think you might be surprised.

A. It's on a Mac.

and

B. I've got a piece of software that's only good for one brand of machine and it comes in at $1800 and it isn't even a fully featured piece of software either (but for this brand of machines, it's moreso then 3rd party software).

synergy_jim

My only feedback so far.... Its leaps and bounds better than Versaworks!!!! Its more like Caldera and Wasatch's full rips... Needed this for a long time.

More to come once I get to use it more. We are beta testing for Roland and I'll have to check and see what all I am allowed to reveal.

DRamm76

Anything related to a MAC is going to be more expensive, I think we all know that by now.
Sure it only drives a Roland, why would Roland make a software that drives other machines? I dont see other manufacturers doing that.

rjssigns

Anything related to a MAC is going to be more expensive, I think we all know that by now.
Sure it only drives a Roland, why would Roland make a software that drives other machines? I dont see other manufacturers doing that.

So what is the rationale for spending 2 grand on a Roland only RIP? Like Pat White said there are other options out there that will drive everything in the shop. Why paint yourself into a corner?

WildWestDesigns

So what is the rationale for spending 2 grand on a Roland only RIP? Like Pat White said there are other options out there that will drive everything in the shop. Why paint yourself into a corner?

There could be some options that are available in that program that are machine centric that may or may not be in the 3rd party rips.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but in my experience with the machines that I deal with, there is some functionality that is not available in programs that support a multitude of machine formats. Now, the question becomes, is that functionality worth that price (I have a copy of both as having that one program just to insert those functions is actually worth it).

rjssigns

There could be some options that are available in that program that are machine centric that may or may not be in the 3rd party rips.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but in my experience with the machines that I deal with, there is some functionality that is not available in programs that support a multitude of machine formats. Now, the question becomes, is that functionality worth that price (I have a copy of both as having that one program just to insert those functions is actually worth it).

In the realm of wide format I've found third party RIP's to be far more powerful/capable with far more options for controlling output. When you only make one product it better be on point.

WildWestDesigns

In the realm of wide format I've found third party RIP's to be far more powerful/capable with far more options for controlling output. When you only make one product it better be on point.

Not much different in this realm as well. If you do the whole cost/benefit analysis straight down. 3rd party still has more power/productivity. It just doesn't work in one or two key areas that this other program does and they are major key points. This is also only for 1 brand of machine, this is more then likely not the case in other brands, this argument only applies to one brand. They rest of it is clunky, it's not bad for it's price point, but clunky, unrefined in how it works. Make no mistake about it though, if there is enough of a customer base for it, it's worth it and we aren't talking chump change for either program.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
How's the show? See anything else interesting?

Almost to much to see, at least in one full day. I wouldn't do this show again unless I could dedicate 2 or all 3 days to it. It was nice to see it all in one place. It was nice to be able to ask a developer ?s about this rip and get straight forward answers. Now to weigh the pros/cons of this along w price bs full blown caldera. It does sound like the ability to print on one and cut on the other is on their radar.

DRamm76

The program is MSRP $1099. As for why Roland isnt adding the drivers of other manufacturers. I think that's self explanatory. Drivers cost money. If they provided drivers for 15 different manufacturer's and raised the price there would be threads on here with "Why do I have to pay Roland all this extra money for drivers for machines I dont need!!? Roland is too expensive!"

So let's just be happy it now works for MAC with a VERY powerful tool to do so.

splizaat

In to hear responses as well. Price shows $1,099 on the roland site now.

If it lives up to the hype it sounds promising...but for that coin I think i'd rather have an aftermarket rip that can run a printer/cutter of any brand combination. I figured if it's only good for machines that range from $15-30k, maybe they'd drop the price a bit since we already bought the machinery....closer to 250-500. And a TRIAL would be nice too, since I would prefer to try it for a month before I buy. Based on Roland's past support with printers, I wouldn't buy this before I knew it worked 100% otherwise I'm gonna end up with a USB stick paper weight because lord knows they're not taking it back or helping solve the problem - it's always something besides the product with the Roland Logo on it.