• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Printer-what's Up With Grays?

Hey guys,
So I have a customer that wants a snow camo wrap on his rzr.. I cannot for the life of me get a nice light gray or dark gray to print. It's either a reddish or purplish color or a green greenish tint... is it not possible to get a nice gray on a damn Roland printer? I see plenty of other shops out there producing nice grays.. is it something I am doing wrong?

WrapYourCar

I believe you've setup the file incorrectly.. send us the file.. to have a look at! you're probably printing in rgb and have third party inks running through your system ?

ProPDF

I believe you've setup the file incorrectly.. send us the file.. to have a look at! you're probably printing in rgb and have third party inks running through your system ?
Did you mean design in RGB? You are supposed to design in RGB...and Third Party ink is where the money is at if you print a lot.

We create our own profiles and noticed at least with Flexi 12 that if you select gray balance when creating a profile that it really helps out....the purple means wrong profile setup probably. There are guru's that can jump in here with much more accurate info on gray's but we had the same problem especially in gradients years ago...if you can it might be best to pick up an x-rite device off ebay and start scanning.

Speedsterbeast

I've tried on my old Roland SP and always got a green tint to my grays. Told and read that it's a limitation of 4 colour ink systems. It's trying to produce gray with yellow, magenta, and cyan. I just bought the Roland VG540 with 7 colour ink and it produces grays that look much better due to a light-black ink.

Asuma01

Assuming there is nothing physically wrong with the printer. It's most likely a profiling issue. If you use the default profiles that come with your printer or if you downloaded a profile for your printer from the media company and you are getting non neutral greys then consider having your printer professionally calibrated.

phototec

Did you mean design in RGB? You are supposed to design in RGB...and Third Party ink is where the money is at if you print a lot.

We create our own profiles and noticed at least with Flexi 12 that if you select gray balance when creating a profile that it really helps out....the purple means wrong profile setup probably. There are guru's that can jump in here with much more accurate info on gray's but we had the same problem especially in gradients years ago...if you can it might be best to pick up an x-rite device off ebay and start scanning.

Which x-rite device do you use to create your custom profiles? Thanks

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
You need to use Roland spot colors from Roland color system library. You will get perfect grays but you can not use any transparency nor fades. Won't work just like how contourcut won't work if you have a fade or transparent objects.
Here is a link for the file if you need it. put it in your swatch folder and open it under swatches
Roland Color System Library.ai

When u open the colors do some test prints using RVW-BK01A all the way to BK21A
using these swatches your roland will use specific inks for specific colors. you can even change what ink to use and how many percentage.
Do not forget when you open your file in versaworks you have to click on File Format on the left and check box: convert to spot color.
It does NOT matter if your file is rgb of cmyk when you use spot colors.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Try this, under the QUALITY tab on the left in Versaworks, go to the COLOR MANAGEMENT drop down and choose DENSITY CONTROL ONLY.
This setting will get you AWESOME blues, purples, and grey that you couldn't before. Trust me, try it on a patch and see the difference.

Select 'use primary colors only' in versaworks and set up your file in vector format using K only for grays. This'll make u true grays guaranteed, not sure how nice the resolution will be though. I printed a gray wallpaper the other day on my 8 color printer and surprise surprise it was made out of Lc and Lm mostly despite the fact i have Lk