• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland questions.

dsmskyline

Im looking to get another machine and have heard great things about Rolands.

My original plan was to pick up a VS-640 and run it with the white and metallic.

We are a Color Logic certified printer for both offset and digital and want to get certified for large format as well.

The metallic capabilities will allow us to properly proof the offset work. We have a couple(3) 44" Epsons we use for proofing but cant do the metallic on them.

The cost for the VS-640 will be right around $30k for the machine and take up device.

I know it is possible to convert an older machine, like a CJ-500 or HJ-50 to run solvent or eco-solvent. But I was wondering if it is possible to get them to run metallic and/or white as well?

I have seen already solvent converted CJ-500s go for less than $10k, I can pick up a HJ-50 for less than $5k, plus the $2-3K for solvent conversion. Just not sure about the white and metallic capabilities.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Thomas

sfr table hockey

The CJ and SC 500 can't run either white or metalic from what I know. I think you also might be meaning the FJ 40,42 or 50,52 printers that can be converted. If you do a conversion yourself you can do it for under $1000 depending on what you use for heat plates. You can pick up a converted CJ or SC for under $7000 and non converted approx $4000 some lower some higher.

I think the big deal on white and possible the metalics is the ink can't sit and not be mixed as things settle out. I think the new printers cycle the ink when not in use. Also I think those colors plug up more easily (not as sure on that).

I alway wondered why you could not set up one of these older printers CJ or FJ that used 6 colors and run them with just 4 (CMYK) in your rip and fill the two extra slots with white Then print a file in CMYK with crop marks, then reset the file and change the color values to a solid 100 percent green or orange, then print in CMYKOrGr so that the printer just prints the white over top the first image.

I think Artbot had a reason why this would not work but I can't remember for sure if it was due to the white ink clogging up.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
The VS does have a recirculation system that will help keep the large white and metallic pigments in suspension. Without it, the only way to ensure good operation and avoid head clogs is to run a lot of cleaning cycles that will purge ink before too much pigment comes out of circulation and causes both inconsistent results and head clogs.

You should talk to Color Logic about RIP choices. VersaWorks, while a very capable RIP, doesn't currently support the 5 color PDF files that Color Logic outputs. VersaWorks relies on named spot colors in order to create metallic and white. If designing files from scratch for the VS in CorelDraw or Illustrator, it is an easy workflow, but it can create some tricky issues if you are planning on moving files from Color Logic's software to the Roland.

Drop me a PM if you want some more information or recommendation.

Large Format

You are more then welcome to come over to the shop, we have a VS 640 metallic demo unit on the floor.

Best Regards,
Peter Spilger
Large Format Printers
2244 N 23rd
Phoenix AZ
602-262-8500

dsmskyline

You are more then welcome to come over to the shop, we have a VS 640 metallic demo unit on the floor.

Best Regards,
Peter Spilger
Large Format Printers
2244 N 23rd
Phoenix AZ
602-262-8500

We talked to you at ISA, its been a pain trying to get the 4 of us over here to be available at the same time to go over. I may personally come over and check it out.