Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland registration and other plotters

Discussion in 'Roland' started by DizzyMarkus, Apr 6, 2013.

1. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Evening all,
    I wondered if anyone could quote a few of the various brands that will read Roland registration marks? Besides a Roland :thumb:

I read somewhere Graphtec will and that the "el cheapo" vinyl express with opto will also.

Just checking around,
    Thank you much,
    Markus

Tags:
  2. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    I have never heard about Plotters of foreign brands which reads Roland Markers. Altough it could be possible with plotters with laser pointers.

3. woolly

woolly Active Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Cornwall uk
    You print the marks that the plotter understand s the best. To my knowledge only a Roland reads Roland marks
    Sometimes I print Roland and cut graphtec so print four corner marks

4. DizzyMarkus

Jan 23, 2012
    I must have mis-spoke reguarding the "roland" registration marks -- I want to be able to print on a SP300v-- take it out and cut in another machine while the 300v prints again. I thought Graphtec(sp) could do that.

Thanks for the responses so far,
    Markus

5. FrankW

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    EVERY Plotter with contour cut ability can cut roland prints, Summa, Mimaki, Graphtec, Mutoh, all of them when being equipped to do so ...

The only thing is that you need to print the markers the chosen plotter can work with ... every manufacturer uses his own system.

Most RIP-Softwares can generate registration marks for several plotters, and generate the cutting files too. One exception of this rule is VersaWorks who supports roland plotters only. How this issue can be solved depends on what plotter you choose, Summa for example delivers plugins for illustrator and coreldraw to create markers in the files.

6. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    Yeah any good plotter that can read marks will be able to do that. My tip is to generate the marks in the design program not the RIP.

7. FrankW

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    My tip would be the opposite. For example creating multiple copies of a sign without modifying the original file is possible in the RIP only. Sometimes you do not have a choice, but if you have the choice let the RIP do the work.

8. DizzyMarkus

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks for the info folks -- going to do somemore research first :0)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Markus

9. LittleSnakey

LittleSnakey Member

Jan 12, 2008
    If you use Flexi you can print the summa, graptec, etc marks on the roland printer then send the cut to a different plotter.

I'd look at a summa first.....been where your at