• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Renew Warranty or Not

jhd

My warranty is about up on my SP-540i - I've had it just about 1 year.
Should I renew the factory warranty or not? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

rjssigns

Extended warranties are there for the company to make money not help you.

If you think I'm wrong look at it from this angle. If Company X built a failure prone product they would offer a limited warranty with no extensions. Now if Company Z builds a fairly solid product with very few warranty claims it is a slam dunk to offer the "peace of mind" of an extended warranty.

I know I did not explain my point to well, but it is pure accounting. The have all the pertinent data to make the decision and it is a money maker period.

ChicagoGraphics

how much does it cost? 9 times out of 10 you wont use it. I would just put the money to the side just in case you do ever need a tech for something serious isures, you will be cheaper off.

J

john1

I think when i had this option with my 300i i opted out because it wasn't cost effective. I forget now exactly cause it was a few years ago.

WildWestDesigns

If you think I'm wrong look at it from this angle. If Company X built a failure prone product they would offer a limited warranty with no extensions. Now if Company Z builds a fairly solid product with very few warranty claims it is a slam dunk to offer the "peace of mind" of an extended warranty.

I'm sure Navistar wish they took that route with the 6.0 (even though I love mine and haven't had any issues with it at all).

Even if they built a failure prone product, the price would just be higher for the warranty to cover the majority of claims. Might have those "freak" claims to where people get their money's worth with warranty (6.0), but by and large, the company has made a profit.

Jack Knight1979

Most repairs on the roland will cost 1-2k, so it could be worth it if a head board blows or heads fry.

Although you can fix a head board yourself for about 45.00 if you can solder.
Depends on what you're comfortable with fixing stuff yourself. .

jhd

thanks for the advise, I know mr. murphy well and he visits often. I also do not mind taking a risk. I like the idea of setting the money aside instead of purchasing the warranty - just in case. Decision made!

ThinkRight

My warranty is about up on my SP-540i - I've had it just about 1 year.
Should I renew the factory warranty or not? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sell it and buy a new one,just keep doing that every year and your down time will be LOW !.
And every new printer has that "New Printer Smell"
almost like a car.
/ If it has been solid for the first year, put that same money in a printer upkeep account, kinda like self insured and no surprises or short of cash when it does break.
And remember....
If it was man -made... it is not , "Is it gonna Break ?"
but instead , " When is gonna Break ?"

DRamm76

Extended warranties are there for the company to make money not help you.

I know I did not explain my point to well, but it is pure accounting. The have all the pertinent data to make the decision and it is a money maker period.

You're right.. dealers sell Roland warranties just to make money. Who would have thought...such an outrageous concept..making money. When the machine breaks, we come out, replace the parts and you sign a piece of paper...how difficult for you.

Gas costs money, Tolls cost money, taking an employee out of the office all day to drive to your facility to replace a part costs money. But I assume dealers are just to supposed to look at that as "the cost of doing business" well here's a concept..keeping the lifeblood of your business in tip top shape and covered so it doesnt break down is part of YOUR business.

There's a really warped sense of reality when it comes to what people see as "saving money" and we see it all the time..The customer who all of a sudden WANTS a warranty when the machine breaks. Or the one who says its too expensive then they are crying the blues on this forum when they get an estimate.

If customers put a bigger value on their TIME instead of wasting it, they would make more money instantly. Perfect example. Customer called me the other day..how much is X vinyl..$245. "I can find that cheaper!" Said customer calls me 4 hours later with a price of $227. "See I called a whole bunch of places and I found it $18 cheaper! I saved money!" Really? 4 hours wasted calling all these places...to save $18. here's the big question..how much do you pay yourself an hour? Cuz you just pissed away a whole lotta time..

Same thing goes for Warranty. Value your equipment. Keep it covered. The $1000 you save NOW will save you $1000'S in the future.