• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Rip on my Mac

Mainframe

Long overdue in my opinion, wonder if it will work for the older printers?? I am not going to get too excited until I hear it can work on a VP 540. But this is good news over all.

WildWestDesigns

hope they aren't going to make us pay for something that should have been provided from the start.

In your link, it said that it would be provided as an option. That makes me think that there is a good probability of having to pay for it. I could be wrong, I might be reading too much into the release, but that's my take on it. That could be an area of confusion (for me anyway, but I'm easily confused).

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
That's a different link and tells a little more. That states ready in March, it's April so I'm hoping by July? :) I'm hoping for all that Versaworks offers and then some. I'm hopeful the PDF workflow will overcome some of the issues Versaworks currently struggles with on image translation. Long time coming for sure.

Mainframe

I just called Roland sales and they transferred me to the Tech guys, the one I talked to didn't know anything about it, so I read him the link of the article and he said that is the European division and they are separate. He had never heard of any Mac RIP and was quite surprised, he wasn't sure if they were going to develop it here in the US. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I just called Roland sales and they transferred me to the Tech guys, the one I talked to didn't know anything about it, so I read him the link of the article and he said that is the European division and they are separate. He had never heard of any Mac RIP and was quite surprised, he wasn't sure if they were going to develop it here in the US. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Well I hope that response is just the "company line" otherwise I will have to move to Europe.

WildWestDesigns

It is interesting that there was no public mention of this from Roland at ISA Expo last week.

If it's just the European division and not American, then it's not all that surprising.

I somewhat remember reading that in an email that I got from Roland (it being from the European division), but because it didn't affect me, I didn't retain the info.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Once it is written for the OS the "hard work" is done so I cannot for the life of me figure out why it would not release here in the US but then again there are a lot of things that for the life of me...... :rolleyes:

synergy_jim

I talked with Roland. Its basically in Beta overseas right now. No concrete yes or no weather it is coming here, but we are on the list for beta when / if it happens

InkjetAuction

Looks like Caldera...

That's most certainly a version of Caldera. They didn't seem to change much except for the color of the interface and a few icons.

This is a smart move by Roland. Caldera is awesome. VersaWorks is so hacked up that it will never be able to integrate the Adobe APPE.

Then again... I could totally be wrong.

~E

mac_man_luke

hopefully its free or cheap

Id love to replace our roland PC with a mac, Versaworks is ok but has plenty of short comings and windows is not exactly stable.

That's most certainly a version of Caldera. They didn't seem to change much except for the color of the interface and a few icons.

This is a smart move by Roland. Caldera is awesome. VersaWorks is so hacked up that it will never be able to integrate the Adobe APPE.

Then again... I could totally be wrong.

~E

I don't think that you are...the UI is more than similar to Caldera's, and it would be difficult to justify for Roland to build their own RIP from scratch for the Mac/ Unix market.