• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland RS-640 Printing just stopped

AlucardDante

Good Day

I have a Roland RS-640, she is printing fantastically she is only 2 months old and have had no real problems till now, a couple of days ago i started printing a 8mx1.5m Banner full colour and graphical, the file is 550mb that i am sending through using Versaworks, the print had gone in 2.1m when the printer just stopped and went on stanby, the Versaworks had no print status in it either.

I dont know what to do, should I reprint? I phoned Roland and they said I must make my design smaller and scale it in Versaworks, the thing being my design was done through photoshop, so its not a vector design, when i scale it and print the design it comes out heavy pixelated and i dont ant that, the 2.1m that printed on my last design was perfect.

What should i do?

Thank you

rjssigns

VersaWorks may have choked on that file. With huge files we bring them in at 25% size or less then scale in VW.

AlucardDante

Thank you very much for the replies, @Pat I will scale my original design down and higher the resolution on photoshop then put the design in vw and scale it up there and give it a try.

Thank you again guys

AlucardDante

Hello Pat

I just wanted your opinion on something, I phoned another Roland branch and was told that small hdd space could have also have caused the print to stop is this correct? have you heard anything about this?

Thank you

Wiggum PI

Short answer, yes hard disk space/ram/virtual memory, will have a big impact on larger files, and clear your job log as much as possible.

Custom_Grafx

Short answer, yes hard disk space/ram/virtual memory, will have a big impact on larger files, and clear your job log as much as possible.

+1 and recently for 99% of jobs, I find that working with jpg instead of tif (hence significantly reducing file size) has helped a lot with rip time and storage. Keep the final final as a psd or tiff, but for the rip file just make a jpg at max quality setting. Make sure though, that you do not later make adjustments to your jpg file, then resave as jpg again, as that will double compress.

This way, even a large file, (btw you shouldnt really be using anything more than around 150ppi), isn't very large at all. TIF is ridiculously large in comparison.

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
If you want to reduce file size while not hurting your output...

PDF is the way to go.

JPG is a bad suggestion, it may work for you but you are the minority. Even though your using those high quality settings when saving, you are still compressing the file and that will cause issues down the line. But if it works for you, then awesome, I am glad it does.

If you build the file to actual size and use decent artwork you can get away with 72 ppi. The key is to build the jobs to size. 150 ppi is a good standard and the max I would use- anything more than that is overkill and creates giant output files.

If you build your job to size you will see what your output is going to look like before it even comes out of the printer.

The old saying stands true and always will
"Garbage In Garbage Out"

If your using Raster images within your design, inspect them before using them. Zoom in and take a look if you see big squares, or rough edges, (aka Pixelation) thats what you will get on output. Instruct your customers if they are providing artwork what you give me is what I am using, if they want you to fix it, then charge them. To many people in the graphics design world go to college to learn design and they are taught to prepare for press or web not for the sign industry.

So when they create files they create in small size and high DPI thats just not the case and its not needed for the sign industry.

This is a topic I can go on with forever..I have been having these arguements for years with my customers. Even when you show them, they still find a way to go back to their old ways of designing. You just cant please everybody!! And you cant change a Leopards spots!!

Custom_Grafx

I'm yet to encounter an issue, so would like to know in advance what issue/s I may face down the line doing this before something comes up.

I run a colour managed workflow and embed profiles.

What compression related issues are you referring to in particular?

If you want to reduce file size while not hurting your output...

PDF is the way to go.

JPG is a bad suggestion, it may work for you but you are the minority. Even though your using those high quality settings when saving, you are still compressing the file and that will cause issues down the line. But if it works for you, then awesome, I am glad it does.

If you build the file to actual size and use decent artwork you can get away with 72 ppi. The key is to build the jobs to size. 150 ppi is a good standard and the max I would use- anything more than that is overkill and creates giant output files.

If you build your job to size you will see what your output is going to look like before it even comes out of the printer.

The old saying stands true and always will
"Garbage In Garbage Out"

If your using Raster images within your design, inspect them before using them. Zoom in and take a look if you see big squares, or rough edges, (aka Pixelation) thats what you will get on output. Instruct your customers if they are providing artwork what you give me is what I am using, if they want you to fix it, then charge them. To many people in the graphics design world go to college to learn design and they are taught to prepare for press or web not for the sign industry.

So when they create files they create in small size and high DPI thats just not the case and its not needed for the sign industry.

This is a topic I can go on with forever..I have been having these arguements for years with my customers. Even when you show them, they still find a way to go back to their old ways of designing. You just cant please everybody!! And you cant change a Leopards spots!!

AlucardDante

Hello

Thank you very much for your reply, I did what you said and reprinted it and it worked, I just wanted to add that you guys gave me more advice then Roland and I am very grateful for your answers. Another thing I found out about, is that I had barely any hdd space, so I cleared that and made sure all my resources was going to the print.

Thank you again