Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Roland RS 640

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Anointed, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Anointed

Anointed New Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Australia
    Hello,

I recently bought a used Roland VersaArt RS640 and did a test print today and nothing printed. The printer has been sitting for over 6 months. I've read on online that it could be that the heads are clocked and requires manual cleaning. Please any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Overnight head soak probably required to recover what few nozzles are still going to fire. 6 months is a very long time to leave a solvent machine offline.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anointed

Anointed New Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Australia
    Thanks for your advice and immediate post. Would you recommend any Solvent Cleaning Solution Liquid Roland Printers? I've seen a few online but not sure which to go for.

4. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    The standard Roland cleaning fluid should be fine. Cheap way of getting cleaning fluid is to use anything left over in a cleaning cartridge if you have any lying around.

5. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    I've cleaned up heads that were setting in a barn for 2 years. It takes a bit of patience but, it can be done.
    :welcome: 2 :signs101smilie: from OK :wavingflag:

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  6. Anointed

Anointed New Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Australia
    Hi,

I did the overnight head soak and and performed cleaning test but the test came out blank. Please any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

7. Anointed

Anointed New Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Australia
    Hello, thanks for your post... how long did you leave the head soak for and how did you get it back to work normal?

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

8. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    It's been 13 years since I did this. My memory is fading with that much time. I think it took some attention to other parts of the system. Check to make sure you have good suction to the heads and the dampers are full. You can use a syringe to draw ink through the pumping station to clear out any dried ink.

9. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Brand new cap tops definitely help in this situation if you don't have them already.

10. Anointed

Anointed New Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Australia
    I opened the top cover and saw that there are no fresh inks running through the tubes from the cartridge station after several test print was done. I'm not sure if it is clogged some where along the line. At the moment, I'm doing a flush through the tubes with the cleaning fluid and after I will perform some test again and see how it goes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Jeff