• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SC 540 ink test showing missing heads

NormanL

Hi all

I've run a Roland 540 and for the past month I havnt been able to get the nozzle's back from the Black and Cyan I have read through many post on this forum and would like to know how to do a soak head - a step by step guide would be great. I don't usually run the 540 but due to a impromptu depature of the previous operature, I am now in charge of this machine. I have also arranged for a technician to come in to teach me how to troubleshoot.

If anyone would like me to ask questions, please reply and I will write them down.

So far i have tried many cleans, medium and powerful along with pressing a swab soaked with solvent liquid against the print head.

I have attached a few pics of my situation if any one wants to give me advice on how to fix.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 704

Ragnabrok

test print results look like a cap seal issue. Likely that they aren't centered above the heads while the machine is cleaning.

NormanL

Technician came and saw the test plot, straight away he said it was a fired print head so were going to replace that and see what it looks like, will update what happens, cheers for the reply

player

I would not change the head before changing the caps, cleaning and giving it a day or two...

I feel it is a dried head. It is a terrible feeling to have the new head start drying out a day or two after it is installed.

player

Technician came and saw the test plot, straight away he said it was a fired print head so were going to replace that and see what it looks like, will update what happens, cheers for the reply

He will be sorry if he changes the heads...

The tech will probably replace caps so the OP won't catch on it's the caps... He will get charged for 2 heads, when it is just caps...

Also the printer looks filthy. Do you do a manual clean of the head SIDES, the caps and wipers? Why is everything so dirty?

I would change the wipers and the scraper (wiper scraper) as well as the caps.

NormanL

2 months ago I was left with this to take care of and im not very experienced with maintenance, ill do a proper job at cleaning it in a few days time, Technician also did a head soak overnight and no changes. I will see if he can change the caps first before changing print head. Thanks guys.

player

2 months ago I was left with this to take care of and im not very experienced with maintenance, ill do a proper job at cleaning it in a few days time, Technician also did a head soak overnight and no changes. I will see if he can change the caps first before changing print head. Thanks guys.

Don't do anything until you clean the heads, the caps, the wipers and the area around the wipers and caps. It should take less than 1/2 hour.

You should change the caps... It's probably the 2nd easiest thing to do. Besides cleaning, which it looks like nobody has been doing.

In my opinion, the caps are not sealing anymore, so the heads are drying out, and the pump can't create the seal so the pump can't pull ink through the head and unclog it. A head soak will only work if the heads are sealing.

just find out how to get into service mode, then find cap change, then change the caps. There are springs under the caps that like to jump out, so be careful not to lose them.

You have to manually clean the heads, the wipers and the caps weekly. Do not touch the bottom of the heads... Oh did you touch the bottom of the heads?

NormanL

Alright guys
We installed a new cap top for the light cyan and it didnt change anything so we'll get a new print head installed later on in the month

Today I decided to do a limit initialization to fix a motor scan error after getting a head strike, as i was in the process
of doing the steps I found the print heads not going directing down onto the cap tops and were a good 3mms too much to the left, which raised alarm bells.

Does anyone know to to fix this?