• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland sc-540 overspray/ streaking

PITBULL DESIGN

We've recently had a plethera of problembs with our machine. It all started with extreme drop out which lead us to drop our third party ink and go back to roland inks. Since then we've had 4 different tech's in to fix this thing. Dampers and caps have been replace along with a flushing.

As of now we still have a bit of drop out and banding, but the real problem at the moment is overspray and streaking. I am well aware that the heads can, do, and will go bad and have been told that black and cyan heads may be bad. However, none of the techs have been to sure and have left me with more questions than anwsers and lacking confidence in there ability to fix this thing.

So signs101 please help!!!

Here are some pics I took this morning. They are on cloth media, but the problems are consistant going from one media to another.

Thanks,
Mike

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• pitbull.jpg
    pitbull.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 746
Last edited by a moderator:
What specific media product are you printing on in the images?

Are the streaks always in the direction of carriage travel (scan direction)?

mark in tx

The techs should have been able to confirm if the heads need replacement, either through shot count, or diagnostic testing.

artbot

for that model, i'd start cheap with a power down. most older rolands have static build up on the boards. turn it off front, off back, unplug, press front switch four times.

i've seen overspray not be fixed with new heads. i'd do a data swap before you get a new head in that printer (not sure the protocol for that printer. i'd ask around for the proper data ribbon positions).

Mike Drysdale

roland overspray problem

One other item to check is a nozzle test print.

Take a magnafying glass and look at the edges of the test print. You may see some printing outside of the nozzle area. This would mean a nozzle is miss directing the ink spray.

Severe head strikes will bend the nozzles causing them to spray sideways.

Good luck, Mike Drysdale

DrSteveBrule

This may sound dumb but its worked for us before.

check the head height lever on the print head assembly/blade assembly.

We were baffled once while experiencing similar issues. Finally checked it and lowered the assembly and the problems disappeared.