• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SC-540ex will not print grey.

DJDesigns

Had this issue and the roland support was kind of stumped.

All of a sudden my printer will not print grey, it prints a magenta like hue in place of grey. If I do a white to black gradient it goes white to a goldish shade to reddish pinkish shade to black.

All other colors seem pretty much normal. It prints blue red yellow in a design all accurately, but anything with grey comes out a pinkish burnt browny shade.

Already checked profiles, no change, same profiles as before same files even. Also printed from another program had the same issue so it is definitely machine related.

Also I had a some ink in the bottom of the machine under the pumps.

So we figured it was pumps, put all new pumps in it, the new XC-540 style. Even has a firmware upgrade to show the new pumps. Fire the machine up and it is still doing the same.

Before the test prints were decent just 1 or 2 squiggles in black, however one of the light cyan strips was kinda choppy and not hitting all over.

Now after the new pumps the test print for that same bad light cyan is really sparce and might be hitting maybe 10% but its only one strip. The other strip prints nice and clean.

Im guessing a strip for each cartridge. But the ink levels for light cyan are good.

I guess what I am asking is; is it a head, a cap top, etc.... Curious if anyone has had the issue and can save me the hastle of replacing piece by piece until I find the right part that is causing the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, would love to get the right fix or part to fix it on the next try. I feel like I may have replaced perfectly good pumps.

Also any idea on how to maybe save those pumps for future use? or are they pretty much gone now.

stopngo

have you tried doing a couple of cleanings? If that doesn't do it, a powerful cleaning? You may have dome contamination in your lines that need to be leaned out....just be careful with the powerful clean. Tech says that it can be very hard on the pumps. It may be the only way to clean the line....hope this helps.

DJDesigns

Did several manual cleans of around the heads, and some medium cleans. Never did do a powerful clean, also I didnt see any color contamination.

All lines show the correct colors, all dampers show the correct color as well. Also all colors are correct on the test print, only exception is the one strip of light cyan that is now really sparce. Other than that the test print is correct color wise.

lilb93

I would replace the capping stations, since you know the pump is good. When the pump (Actually Vacuum) starts, if the capping station has a leak the heads cannot clean. They are not all that expensive.

After a capping station is replaced get a syringe and suck the ink thru. Then do a regular clean. Do not get too carried away with the syringe, Very slowly make vacuum.
Replace the dampners (Filters on top of the heads) Be careful you do not break them off also.

Hightech Grafix

I feel your pain !

DJDesings,
I feel your pain. I have the same issue. Any gray I print comes out PINK! and any fades I print have a pink hint to them. also if I print a photo they can have a pink tint. I have had my Roland rep out here and they do not know anything. They replaced some caps, dampers and one print head. also upgraded my Rip soft wear.

I HATE ROLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are the worce, their techs treat you like crap! I loved the printer, but after dealing with there tech and reps I would never buy one!

My printer is older, I can not keep putting money into this older printer. So I am talking to a Mimaki deal and wil buy a new printer from them next week.

I will never go back to Roland. They make a very good printer, but they can NOT support you after you buy it.

Spongebob

All the Roland tech guys love moneysssss

DJDesings,
I feel your pain. I have the same issue. Any gray I print comes out PINK! and any fades I print have a pink hint to them. also if I print a photo they can have a pink tint. I have had my Roland rep out here and they do not know anything. They replaced some caps, dampers and one print head. also upgraded my Rip soft wear.

I HATE ROLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are the worce, their techs treat you like crap! I loved the printer, but after dealing with there tech and reps I would never buy one!

My printer is older, I can not keep putting money into this older printer. So I am talking to a Mimaki deal and wil buy a new printer from them next week.

I will never go back to Roland. They make a very good printer, but they can NOT support you after you buy it.