• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SC540 Service call 0106 - Solved

Stormyj

Just another guy
Hi all.
Getting a service call 0106 on my sc540. From what I understand it has to do with the tool carriage not disconnecting from the head carriage. from an earlier post, this can be fixed with a LIMIT POSITION & CUT DOWN POSITION INITIALIZE procedure. Can someone give me instruction on how to complete this on my machine. It would be very helpful. This error is becoming a nuisance.
Thanks
Jim

Error code 106 is a failure to disconnect the Tool Carriage from the Head Carriage error.

The most common fix is that the Limit position may need to be reset (the relative distance between the limit sensor and the capping station). You do this with with the LIMIT POSITION & CUT DOWN POSITION INITIALIZE procedure.

This is normally a service related procedure on the XC-540 as you may have to physically adjust the position the capping station. (Don't risk your heads by doing a limit position initialize without first checking for proper capping position)

Is your machine covered under warranty? Get a tech out there asap for the adjustment. This is covered under warranty.

If you are not covered under warranty, PM me and I will assist.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I know that the comment under mine that i quoted says to contact him, but he has not been on since 2011 so..

Stormyj

Just another guy
A little more back history. This originally started out as a scan motor error. I changed two heads, everything worked fine, except for the original scan motor error. It didn't not happen all the time. I recently changed all the caps. It was after that that I began getting all the errors. I tried the initialization and I believe I did it right, but am still getting the error. I read that the 106 error is caused by a dirty or damaged linear encoder strip or reader. I removed the strip and reader and cleaned with alcohol and cleaned the strip holder and reinstalled. I did the linear strip initialization from the menu and it passed successfully. Im thinking that the scan motor might be going bad. The machine is rather old. when it is making passes, I hear almost like grabbing sounds as its going back and forth. I thought it might be a cable or something holding up, but when I push the head and cutter manually, I do not hear any sounds. I think that is about it. Might bump this tomorrow morning. Thanks

El Barto

I'd take some panels off and try to locate where your grabbing sound is. Keep in mind that the motor moves those carriages pretty fast, so moving it by hand might not be enough to recreate your sound. You could also try setting it to aging in service mode to keep it moving so you can track down your noise. Not sure but that might get you some movement without the service calls (and if nothing else if it will prevent you from having to sit through a cleaning just because of the error).

And did you clean (and align) the encoder sensor?

Stormyj

Just another guy
Yep. I actually removed the strip and checked for scratches cleaned with alcohol and removed the sensor and cleaned that to. Didn't see any problems physically. For some reason I think it has something to do with the motor but wanted some more feed back. The problem with the cutter not separating from the print head has me baffled. Any one else have any ideas.
Jim

woolly

A couple of years ago had similar on my sc540 that I have owned from new.
found that the scan cable was sticking to the multi wound drive hub light cleaning and a little light oil cured

Stormyj

Just another guy
didnt help, cleaned and put a tiny bit of silicon lube on the shaft of the drum, printed ok, but when head came back to caps, i got an internal error 1090280. Anyone know what that is.
Jim

Stormyj

Just another guy
Can someone please change title to solved.

UPDATE.

The problems were becoming worse and worse. I contacted Roland and they suggested it might be the motor or cable. I noticed that it was making a grinding noise when the print head and cutter head would run across the machine. At one point, i had taken off the cover and was watching the motor and cable.It was grinding and would not separate the cut head from the print head. I tried to separate the cut head from the print head manually and noticed that they came apart fairly easily. As I was separating them, i noticed that the cable that drives the cut head, was slipping through its holder. It runs along the top of the cutting head and is held in place with a screw and washer. Upon closer inspection, i found the area very oily and the screw was loose, allowing the cable to slide through the bolt, thus, not being able to separate the two heads. What happens is, upon initialization, the cutting head, which is what drives the entire operation, pushes the print head to the right, meeting the locking position ( the same thing that you do when you do an cut down initialization), after the print head locks into its position, the cut head moves to the left, separating the magnet. When the cable is loose, the cut head moves along the cable and loses its position, giving you errors like the 106 error and various internal errors. So, before you order a $800 scan motor, check your cable, clean it and check if it is tight, do another cut down initialization and try again. This fixed mine and it is again 100%. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I can help if I can.
Jim

attachment.php

Attachments

• cutter bolt.jpg
    cutter bolt.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,927