• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SG-540 Does not recognize new ink cartridge

Jo-Lin

We upgraded to the TR2 a couple months ago and all seemed well. 2-weeks ago the printer started spewing ink. I was instructed to do a damper fill which took several attempts to get into the submenu damper fill. When I finally got to it - the panel stated to replace the magenta ink - WHICH WAS 1/2 FULL. Replaced the magenta ink today and now the printer does NOT RECOGNIZE the magenta at all. The printer has been down for a few days now, which is going to cause additional issues. Is anyone online who can help me?????
[HASHTAG]#rolandsg540[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#magentainkissue[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#inkcartridgenotrecognized[/HASHTAG]

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
What Firmware do you have on the machine? current version is for TR2 ink is 4.10 is the most current if you have 4.00 then upgrade the FW. It could just be coincidence and the chip can be bad. I have seen it before. If you have another bag stick it in there, just to see. If FW is current and more than one bag gives the same error, then the sensor or something in that area could be malfunctioning. If the ink keeps dripping, contact your local dealer and report it. We are seeing this in the field often these days. Damper fills are wasteful but do clear the problem. Roland is looking for the machines that are dripping. all TrueVIS models that are installed with TR2 or converted to TR2.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
There is that small tab on the ink bag which the sensor checks. It's possible it's just out of the sensors reach and it needs a little adjusting.

Jo-Lin

What Firmware do you have on the machine? current version is for TR2 ink is 4.10 is the most current if you have 4.00 then upgrade the FW. It could just be coincidence and the chip can be bad. I have seen it before. If you have another bag stick it in there, just to see. If FW is current and more than one bag gives the same error, then the sensor or something in that area could be malfunctioning. If the ink keeps dripping, contact your local dealer and report it. We are seeing this in the field often these days. Damper fills are wasteful but do clear the problem. Roland is looking for the machines that are dripping. all TrueVIS models that are installed with TR2 or converted to TR2.
Confirmed updated Firmware to 4.1 which was suppose to allow me access to the DAMPER FILL mode, which then caused the Magenta to need replacement and the pouch is 1/2 FULL. Replaced with new pouch and now does NOT recognize the magenta at all.

Jo-Lin

There is that small tab on the ink bag which the sensor checks. It's possible it's just out of the sensors reach and it needs a little adjusting.
Unfortunately I am tech-challenged, so not sure what small tab you are referring to. Sure appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Jo-Lin

Confirmed updated Firmware to 4.1 which was suppose to allow me access to the DAMPER FILL mode, which then caused the Magenta to need replacement and the pouch is 1/2 FULL. Replaced with new pouch and now does NOT recognize the magenta at all.
Thank you for your assistance. I stepped away, but am back hoping someone is still around on a Saturday to help this tech challenged gal out! :)

Jo-Lin

Was sure hoping the Firmware update with the Damper Fill would get me back up and running. Really frustrated that now the printer does not recognize the magenta ink cartridge at all. I am not sure what to look for in order to trouble shoot the sensor tab on the ink pouch. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
Was sure hoping the Firmware update with the Damper Fill would get me back up and running. Really frustrated that now the printer does not recognize the magenta ink cartridge at all. I am not sure what to look for in order to trouble shoot the sensor tab on the ink pouch. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have seen this before, sometimes the sensor or the flag that tells it the bag is present, gets out of position and the flag is just not breaking the sensor as it should, and it thinks there is no bag there. If you pull the top left and back cover on that side, it will expose the bags and sensors. You will see the arm that goes up and down when the bag is inserted, if you move that arm up and down you will notice there is a flag that moves with that arm and the sensor is right below it. Sometimes just reseating that sensor plug can fix it, or maybe the flag is not clearing the sensor. Thats all I have right now.

Jo-Lin

I have seen this before, sometimes the sensor or the flag that tells it the bag is present, gets out of position and the flag is just not breaking the sensor as it should, and it thinks there is no bag there. If you pull the top left and back cover on that side, it will expose the bags and sensors. You will see the arm that goes up and down when the bag is inserted, if you move that arm up and down you will notice there is a flag that moves with that arm and the sensor is right below it. Sometimes just reseating that sensor plug can fix it, or maybe the flag is not clearing the sensor. Thats all I have right now.
Will Attempt it! Thanks so much!

UPDATE: Thanks to another tip from KatePhillips I was able to skip the above course of action and the printer is printing fine. Please review my reply to Kate Phillips for the actions I took to get the printer back online and printing again! Great tip!

Last edited:

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Alternatively, we've had the occasional new ink cartridge not recognize, and our Roland tech suggested we gently scuff up the contact on the cartridge and try again. However, if all of your magenta carts are not reading, it seems like it's not a cartridge problem but a mechanical one.

Jo-Lin

Alternatively, we've had the occasional new ink cartridge not recognize, and our Roland tech suggested we gently scuff up the contact on the cartridge and try again. However, if all of your magenta carts are not reading, it seems like it's not a cartridge problem but a mechanical one.
OMG! Removed all cartridges and gave them a shake. Scuffed the slot above the nozzle hole of the 1/2 full cartridge and installed and ran a test print then printed 30-decals before the spewing and spotting began again. I then shut the printer down. Unplugged it for a few minutes, maybe 5 mins.

Then I followed the instructions provided by Rolandga Support to execute the Damper Fill process. I then followed up with the a manual clean. I ran the VersaWorks test print, which printed perfectly.

I have now successfully printed 300+ decals without any ink issues. I am so grateful we didn't need to toss the 1/2 full ink pouch. Many thanks, you helped me saved time in labor and ink!