• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland SolJet Pro XC-540 Blown Fuse I think

Glenn Rogers

The middle fuse in my roland headboard is giving a reading of "OL" while the other 2 fuses read 0.00 does this mean the middle fuse is blown? Its a brand new fuse I just put in....

Glenn Rogers

thank you! but how is a fuse not connected? is there something I should be checking? I just purchased the headboard brand new so I would think all fuses are good to go? How do I go about getting a good reading

Scott at Roland

Hi Glenn - I think that, if you are getting an OL on your meter when testing the fuse, it is likely blown. Especially if you are testing the other fuses and they appear good. I would test the next new fuse with your meter before you install it. Make sure it reads properly. Then check it again after you install it to make sure it isn't blowing again.

Couple things about those fuses - they exist to protect your print heads from potential damage from the circuitry. However, they don't necessarily work the same way in reverse. So if you have a short at your print head/carriage board or ribbon cables, it could possibly blow one of those fuses, but it could also damage the Head Board in the process (blown transistor). Testing this can be tricky, but the easiest way is to install a fuse, and then check it after the machine has been powered on. If the fuse blows right away, then you are looking at a short circuit somewhere upstream from the head board (print heads, carriage board, etc). Start looking for damaged cables, ink buildup on the heads or carriage board, stuff like that. Also, if you find damage in those components, it may have caused a blown transistor on the Head Board. You may want to have that board tested by checking the transistors.

This is usually a challenging issue to chase down and can get expensive if you keep blowing head boards. So, it might be worth considering bringing a service tech in to help troubleshoot.

Hope this helps.
Scott

Glenn Rogers

Hi Glenn - I think that, if you are getting an OL on your meter when testing the fuse, it is likely blown. Especially if you are testing the other fuses and they appear good. I would test the next new fuse with your meter before you install it. Make sure it reads properly. Then check it again after you install it to make sure it isn't blowing again.

Couple things about those fuses - they exist to protect your print heads from potential damage from the circuitry. However, they don't necessarily work the same way in reverse. So if you have a short at your print head/carriage board or ribbon cables, it could possibly blow one of those fuses, but it could also damage the Head Board in the process (blown transistor). Testing this can be tricky, but the easiest way is to install a fuse, and then check it after the machine has been powered on. If the fuse blows right away, then you are looking at a short circuit somewhere upstream from the head board (print heads, carriage board, etc). Start looking for damaged cables, ink buildup on the heads or carriage board, stuff like that. Also, if you find damage in those components, it may have caused a blown transistor on the Head Board. You may want to have that board tested by checking the transistors.

This is usually a challenging issue to chase down and can get expensive if you keep blowing head boards. So, it might be worth considering bringing a service tech in to help troubleshoot.

Hope this helps.
Scott
Hi Scott, Super helpful! Ok I think I found out why the fuses keeps blowing. We actually found out that we blew a transistor. So now we are having a new transistor put in.... But heres the thing we found that I think is the cause... we have a burned little pin in the connector of the ribbon cables. See the photo attached. I just now noticed it as I started looking at EVERY little part closely. I replaced all ribbon cables and now am trying to figure out how to fix this port. I have no clue where to purchase a replacement part. Do you?

I have the XC-540 Roland Soljet Pro

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 10.55.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 10.55.11 PM.png
    859.8 KB · Views: 380

Glenn Rogers

Hope this helps.
Scott
Hi Scott, here is another up close photo of the burned pins that Im looking to replace. just not sure where to find it to buy or what the part number is

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.09.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 11.09.36 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 506

Scott at Roland

Hi Scott, here is another up close photo of the burned pins that Im looking to replace. just not sure where to find it to buy or what the part number is
I am sorry, I do not know where to point you to purchase that connector. I do know that there are companies out there that will do board level repair and might be able to identify the part. It is just a standard connector and might not be difficult to track down. I am also not sure how you can determine if this is true, but it's more possible to me that the cable itself was the problem and the burn mark on the connector was residual damage from a shorted cable. But chasing that down would be a trick and might also require the expertise of the board repair guy. I am sorry that I cannot offer more help than that. I don't want to cause more problems than help.