Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Roland SP-300 head fails again

Discussion in 'Roland' started by 2ny, Sep 11, 2018.

1. 2ny

2ny Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Norway
    Hi.
    Our SP-300 printhead no.1 Black (K) is failing -again.
    (The machine has otherwise been a charm to operate and prints rather well.)

Since the machine was new in 2005 we have changed head no.1 5 times. Last time in May 2016, and now it looks like its time again as the test print shows some small flaws in the black color. It begins to show like a little fuzz on the small black letters we print, and normal/powerful cleaning does not fix the issue.

The thing that amazes me is that head no.2 has never had any trouble at all. We have had a Roland SG-540 for close to 2 years now, but have had much use for the smaller SP-300 also. We would very much like to keep the machine going a while longer, so we consider making the repairs yet again. As time goes by these heads increase in expense, so the cost begins to make a toll on the decision. Last time we payd approx. 830$/720EUR for this head, plus other service parts and freight. I wonder if someone else is experiencing the same intervall on any printheads like we do on this machine? And if so; Do you keep replacing the head?

Best regards
    Tony

Attached Files:

2. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Have you had head strikes?

Do you replace the captops?

Are the dampers changed with the heads?

Are you using Roland ink?

3. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Can you print in high quality mode to get rid of the fuzziness?

4. 2ny

2ny Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Norway
    player;
    - No headstrikes.
    - I replace the captops yearly
    - Dampers changed with headchanges
    - Roland ink always
    - Frequent cleaning, changing of the wipers and the scrapers for these.

klingsdesigns;
    When I print in high def the fuzziness is less noticable, but this is not a fix. Just a temporary solution. :)