• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-300v 0.0" Media Width

daymonm

I'm having problems with my Roland SP-300v measuring the media width. I've cleaned the encoder strip. The thing is it will work when I move the pinch roller to the left for a maximum size of 22". What would cause it not to work all the way on the right, giving me 0.0" width, but does work when its smaller? Thanks in advanced.

Z SIGNS

Most likely your carriage cable.Known problem with that machine.

Search the forum it's on here somewhere here.

The instructions on how to change are also here somewhere.

Good luck

daymonm

I had a similar issue before and replaced the carriage cable just a few months ago. Could that one be going bad this quick?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually it is the carriage cable. Double check that it is connected properly and that it is not rubbing on anything causing damage. If everything looks good, try running the encoder strip calibrations. The easiest one is in the user menu and is called environmental match. It will automatically calibrate your encoder strip. There are two other calibrations in the service menu as well.

daymonm

So I made sure the carriage cable was in properly. I also cleaned the encoder strip and ran the environmental match. It will read up to 25.6" in width, but nothing larger than that. I changed the carriage cable maybe 3 months ago. Could this be a carriage board issue?

ova

Do a test by moving your left pinch roll to the right [or next position]. If the width changes to that dimention, you have a cable problem.

The wires are very thin and if the cable was kinked before it was installed, it might have been damaged. Not uncommon for the cable to get damaged. I got a new one, installed it, and it was bad from the get go.

If you're not printing full width across the media, you'll have to live with it until you change the cable again. I always change the clear strips and the pins along with the cable. The clear strips are the back bone of the cable.

Dave