• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-300V best vinyl for bumper stickers?

denisbaldwin

We have an SP-300V that we've been using occasionally for internal stickers. We're ready to move up to using it for production, customizing some of our items with bumper sticker-like material.

We've tried a 3.5 mil and a 4 mil vinyl, both glossy. They had alright results, but they almost never lay flat easily, tend to have bubbles even using transfer tape and the quality of the sticker is generally poor. Even if we let the ink dry for 12 hours before adhering, we find it wipes off really easily with even minor use.

So, all of that said, what's the best vinyl to use for bumper stickers? We want something rugged enough to stand up to the abuses of being outside. Any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance!

Denis

John.

From prior research, I'd recommend an over-lam of some sort.

I've just purchased a printer too, and this is something I've had numerous request's for from clients, so I'm looking forward to the following information posted in this thread!

denisbaldwin

John and Klem - We've been having a local sign shop produce our "full runs" for customers when they want 500+ of something. We're looking to do the best we can on small runs (1 to 100 pieces typically).

While a laminate would be ideal, it's not practical for such small pieces even at the premium we would charge to do so. Is there a paper for the Roland that we could use that holds the ink well while still being shiny and stiff?

Denis

denisbaldwin

JHillDesigns - The ink wipes off the vinyl. Once the sticker is on the bumpers, they tend to stick just fine. Our problem with the thin vinyl has been in applying it without bubbles or stretching, but once it's on there it sticks.

J Hill Designs

sounds like you may have the wrong material - ink should NOT wipe off the vinyl, even after 10 minutes out of the printer or so...try oracal 3651 or something...what vinyl have you been using?

denisbaldwin

sounds like you may have the wrong material - ink should NOT wipe off the vinyl, even after 10 minutes out of the printer or so...try oracal 3651 or something...what vinyl have you been using?

The stuff we have been printing on is ORAJET 3651. I imagine that would be comparable with the Oracal 3651.

I'm headed over to the graphics shop right now to pick up some 6 mil vinyl. We'll see if that helps at all.

Denis

James605

This is what we use also. works well for whats its for. and cheap

3651 should work fine, we use it every day. Team it up with oracle 200 laminate for cheap decals.
ps. Orajet is Oracal's inkjet line of vinyl
Oraguard is their line of overlaminates

Slamdunkpro

JHillDesigns - The ink wipes off the vinyl.

That's not right - what are your heater settings? We go through a ton of 3651 and can apply it almost right off the printer.

GMI used to make an 8mil semi rigid vinyl just for short term no laminate bumper stickers, but I just looked and don't see it in their catalog anymore.

MrGraphics

Owner Operator
I use Orajet 3165GRA, pay a little more but save a lot of time by putting on dry and
that is what your customer is going to do. You'll Love It.