• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland SP-300v Wacky Test Print Registration

xxxmain

Hi everyone, this forum has been extremely helpful in the past and can hopefully help me out with another problem I'm having with my Roland SP-300V.

She was printing great and then starting getting slight registration issues when printing causing blurry images. I figured the encoder strip needed cleaning and in trying to save time I used compressed air to blow along it (rather than the proper cleaning with alcohol and a rag). The blurry prints got way worse so I pulled it apart and did a proper cleaning of the strip. That didn't help and now the test print looks like the image attached.

What is my next step? Did I blow some dust or hair into a bad area? Did I damage the encoder board or sensor? Should I change the encoder strip and/or board? The encoder strip looks to be in good shape with no obvious damage. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Roland_sp300v_print_problem.jpg
    Roland_sp300v_print_problem.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 347

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have never seen a test print like that and I have seen a lot. Either the encoder strip and/or sensor is super damaged, which would most likely be so bad it would give an error, or there is some sort of electrical issue going on. I would go into the service mode and run the encoder setup and calibration. If either of those fail, you most likely need a new strip and/or sensor. If both pass, it's going to be pretty hard to diagnose I think.

xxxmain

I have never seen a test print like that and I have seen a lot. Either the encoder strip and/or sensor is super damaged, which would most likely be so bad it would give an error, or there is some sort of electrical issue going on. I would go into the service mode and run the encoder setup and calibration. If either of those fail, you most likely need a new strip and/or sensor. If both pass, it's going to be pretty hard to diagnose I think.

Thanks for the info VanderJ, I just swapped out the Encoder Board and re-cleaned the strip. After, I went into Service Mode (which I am not very familiar with), and ran Linear Encoder and Linear Calibration. When I ran a print after it seems to be printing well, except there are a few random lines out of registration on the crop marks (image attached). These stray lines don't appear to be happening with the actual image print, only on the crop marks. After lamination the printer didn't seem to have a problem detecting the messy crop marks and the cut lines were registered perfect. Any ideas what to do next to clean up the crop marks? Or should I even be concerned as the rest of the print and cut lines seem to be registering well? Also, what could cause the Encoder Board to fail? It seems like a non-wear item so I'm just curious.

Thanks again! She's printing again at what I'd say is a good 95%

Attachments

• roland_crop_mark.jpg
    roland_crop_mark.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 190

xxxmain

Ok, so this seems very odd. I've been running the printer since repairs today and the latest print doesn't have those "legs" coming off the crop marks. It seems to have fixed itself, which is great I guess but sorta scary as I have no idea how it did. I'll just keep printing away and see what happens. Thoughts?

Sign Works

Thanks for the info VanderJ, I just swapped out the Encoder Board and re-cleaned the strip. After, I went into Service Mode (which I am not very familiar with), and ran Linear Encoder and Linear Calibration. When I ran a print after it seems to be printing well, except there are a few random lines out of registration on the crop marks (image attached). These stray lines don't appear to be happening with the actual image print, only on the crop marks. After lamination the printer didn't seem to have a problem detecting the messy crop marks and the cut lines were registered perfect. Any ideas what to do next to clean up the crop marks? Or should I even be concerned as the rest of the print and cut lines seem to be registering well? Also, what could cause the Encoder Board to fail? It seems like a non-wear item so I'm just curious.

Thanks again! She's printing again at what I'd say is a good 95%

That looks to be caused by a piece of lint on the print head. Do a manual cleaning - print heads, cap tops, & wipers..

Last edited: