Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland SP-540 Carriage Seperation Becoming Frequent

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Capital Signs, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Capital Signs

Capital Signs Very Active Member

Mar 24, 2008
    The carriages of my SP-540 have been seperating even more frequently. Today it happened 2 times! What the heck! My roland is about 10 months old, and also wanted to know if anyone thinks I should get the extended warranty. I am seriously thinking of selling this and getting me a bigger and badder one! :) ANyways, thanks for your help. I have already cleaned the ribbon cable where it reads... Still happening. Should it be replaced? Weird...

2. Capital Signs

Mar 24, 2008
    Any Ideas Anyone?

3. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    I think it uses an electromagnet to hold together.

Maybe getting weak.

4. Capital Signs

Mar 24, 2008
    Yeah, that is what I am thinking, but is that common to happen within 10 months?

5. cinemasign.grafix

cinemasign.grafix Member

Aug 14, 2005
    10 months is still under warranty- call your tech.

6. shanemcn

shanemcn New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    My machine is a month OUT of warranty, and I've just started to have the same problem. The cutting head seams to be running unevenly, which is making it vibrate a little, so I think it's this that is causing mine to come apart. My quick fix was to use cable-ties to hold the two parts together: Crude but effective, at least until I can get an engineer out to fix it...

7. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Is this the same printer you are selling here? Did you get it serviced?

8. Capital Signs

Mar 24, 2008
    Yes, it is the same printer. What was happening is that the magenta had some overspray, or somehow the magenta was getting into the encoder READER. So we had to get some of the solvent cleaner and clean that lazer read, and BOOM! FIXED. No physical problem. Just some ink got in there after 1 year of use. I'm sure since they spray down somehow something has to go somewhere, and it just happened to go there.

P.S.

I am now taking 11.5K for the printer!