• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland sp-540v cutting capabilities?

SusanT

Hi Guys,

greetings from Oz

I have recently purchased a roland sp-540v and have a customer that would like me to cut cardboard shapes on my machine. Has anyone done this and is it OK to do so? As it has a sheet cut function I guess it would be able to do it. If so, do you adjust the cutter configuration and/or the blade depth.
I am sure that with the wealth of knowledge and experience of the members, this is obviously pre-schooler stuff :U Rock:

Tparkin

I'm no expert but I'd tend to say that you don't want to try to cut "through" ANYTHING on your machine...aside from sheet cutting, but I'm fairly certain that the sheet cut blade isn't designed for material that heavy. I wouldn't use the sheet cut for anything much heavier than standard banner.

Inkfish Graphics

Sheet cut function is to cut off the job that you just printed. I think you should get the manual out to your machine and REALLY read it before trying something like this. It will never cut cardboard.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You’re going way-y-y-y outside the realm of what that machine is supposed to do. If you cut anything other than what it is intended for the unit to deliver, you’ll probably be buying a new one soon.

Of course it will cut the cardboard according to the thickness of your material, but to what degree of accuracy is another question.

With a question like that, you’re obviously very new to this line of business. The best way to cut cardboard shapes is either with a utility knife, die punch or a scissors. Some things just have to be done the old fashioned way.

Welcome to :signs101: from PA

weaselboogie

NOOO!!!

In theory, you could probably hack the hell out it to a basic shape, but this falls under the same catagory as using a laptop to hammer a nail. Why? You'll destroy it and will be buying another one soon.

I'm really surprised that you would've spent this much money on a machine and not understood its most basic purposes. Did you come into a trust fund? This falls under router work. You'll still probably hack the hell out of it.

What you COULD do with the 540 is to use it to cut a vinyl mask. Apply this to the cardboard and using an exacto knife, cut the shape by hand.

The sheet cut function is ONLY for cutting off the vinyl that has recently been printed. Don't EVER use this for anything else. You'll screw up the tracking or worse and be giving a call to your tech.

SusanT

Thanks for your opinions. I am not totally stupid otherwise I would have just done it anyway, but I thought the quickest way to find out if it is advisable would be to ask the forum. I am new to printing but have been in signwriting for 20 years in my own family business. I went thru the apprenticeship system when all the skills taught were by hand. I have self taught myself computer graphics and signs over the last 10 or so years (need to move with the times). I had been using VMP 3.5 for my designs but now I am using Illustrator and Photoshop (well trying).We purchased a Graphtec CE1000-60 some 10 years ago and I know that that machine would definitely not be able to cut card or I would ruin it. The client is an artist after templates for steel sculptures for an up and coming exhibition but we hadn't got as far as discussing the thickness of card required. He is my teacher as I am dabble in the arts on my one precious day off a week.
Our business is very busy -it is bascially a local business catering to the shop keepers in the surrounding areas. Shopfronts (permanent and temp), vehicles, A Boards, boats and a bit of graphic design work etc. We bought a new Ute vehicle yesterday- A 2007 Ford Falcon XL. I believe that you guys don't have them as they are generally an Australian design.
A lot of tradies down under use a ute (I am referring to a thread I saw about what cars do the members drive)

Anyway, I am very happy with my new printer and it won't be long till it has paid itself off, as I am converting a lot of my vinyl cut work to print and cut. When I was considering buying a machine, you guys helped me decide on this one.

Thanks again
Susan

Sign Works

Susan, the easiest way I have found to produce templates (stencils) in-house is to use 1mm PVC sheet, on your cutter cut the artwork from some old unwanted vinyl & apply it to the PVC, now using an exacto knife simply hand cut out your stencil, use a straight edge (ruler) for straight lines and just freehand the curves, this works really well for me and is way cheaper than outsourcing them laser cut or otherwise, resulting in higher profits.