• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP-540V Help....test print overlapping test print rows

Mollie Orbea

I need help! Has anyone ever seen a test print like this? It appears that the first and third rows of the magenta and black are missing, but if you zoom in and look closely they are actually printing on top of the second and fourth rows.
I am print with a Roland Sp-540v....so two heads, to print the four colors. I thought it must be the linear encoder strip or the linear encoder sensor, but I just replaced both with new and it is not fixing the strange issue with the print.
If anyone has any thoughts on what could be causing this, I could really use a little help from my friends! I need to fix this, so I can continue to "get by"....
Thank you in advance,
Mollie

Attachments

• 15753363594878258785033562701672.jpg
    15753363594878258785033562701672.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,397

Mollie Orbea

Yes, it has been cold and dry here causing static in the air. I did notice static. I have tried the test print and misc. printing on multiple days now.
Thank you for commenting!

Mollie Orbea

Did it just happen out of the blue or were you working on the machine recently for any reason?
I hadn't been working on the machine, right before this happened. Prior I did need to pull ink through the heads, as it sat a little too long without being run. But I was able to get all four colors firing correctly. Then I had printed a few projects that day and shut the printer down as normal, everything was good. The next time I went to print, I started with a test print...and this was when I saw the overlapping rows.

To me it seems like it would be something electrical vs. mechanical....but what, what would cause two lines to fire in this uniform misalignment on two different heads at the same time?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I hadn't been working on the machine, right before this happened. Prior I did need to pull ink through the heads, as it sat a little too long without being run. But I was able to get all four colors firing correctly. Then I had printed a few projects that day and shut the printer down as normal, everything was good. The next time I went to print, I started with a test print...and this was when I saw the overlapping rows.

To me it seems like it would be something electrical vs. mechanical....but what, what would cause two lines to fire in this uniform misalignment on two different heads at the same time?

I've actually never seen this particular pattern but it does seem to be electrical. I'm leaning towards a damaged main board as that is where the head signal originates. For it to happen on both heads it would usually mean the heads themselves are still good. Check the head cables for damage or ink drops and replace as necessary. At the end of the day a tech is just going to replace the main board most likely unless you can find someone who can diagnose and fix the board. My hunch is that one or more of the transistors that amplify the signal is malfunctioning.

Mollie Orbea

I've actually never seen this particular pattern but it does seem to be electrical. I'm leaning towards a damaged main board as that is where the head signal originates. For it to happen on both heads it would usually mean the heads themselves are still good. Check the head cables for damage or ink drops and replace as necessary. At the end of the day a tech is just going to replace the main board most likely unless you can find someone who can diagnose and fix the board. My hunch is that one or more of the transistors that amplify the signal is malfunctioning.

Mollie Orbea

My printer is old and far out of warranty, so I have made do with fixing things. I have had Mac Media out of NY work on the mainboard to fix blown fuses in the past. I have been in contact with them in regard to this issue, so I will ultimately end up sending it there to be tested and worked on. One of the other suggestions of a possible cause was the print carriage board, but probably the main board.
I thought I would ask here first, if anyone has ever seen this happen in the hopes it was an easier, faster, cheaper fix.

Mollie Orbea

Just to see what would happen, I switched the ribbon cables on the heads by crossing them over. So the black/cyan cable was now attached to the magenta/yellow head and vise-versa. This test print is what I got......the heads firing like a mile apart from each other and still overlapping. I'm not sure if this info. helps give a clue as to what exactly is malfunction, but I figure I'll share it in the hopes someone knows.

Attachments

• IMG_20191204_123045.jpg
    IMG_20191204_123045.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 424