• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp printer head issue

Hellagfx

I have a weird issue. My black/cyan head, the cyan side is only firing half the cyan channels. Its like exactly half the cyan? Never seen this before. Changed dampers, did cleaning but still exactly half.

Attachments

• 20190919_124759.jpg
    20190919_124759.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 317

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check the bottom of the head for damage and/or debris. You might have had a head strike that damaged the head. Other than that you can swap the black and cyan dampers and run a cleaning. If the cyan comes through the black channel fine and the black does the same thing the cyan is doing, it has to be the head or possibly the cap/maintenance pump.

geofff

I have a weird issue. My black/cyan head, the cyan side is only firing half the cyan channels. Its like exactly half the cyan? Never seen this before. Changed dampers, did cleaning but still exactly half.
Looks more of an electrical problem to me. The fact that it only fires half the nozzles is a bit too coincidental to suspect clogged nozzles or capping station issues. Make sure the printer is off before trying any of the following. Firstly, try re-seating the ribbon cables (left hand head) and retest. If that doesn't work flip the ribbon cables between the black & cyan sockets to see if the fault transfers to the black nozzles. If it does then there's either a problem with the cyan ribbon cable or the cyan print driver circuitry. If not, then it's likely that there's an issue with the head itself, either internally or on the electronics part of the head circuit board.

Incidentally you're getting quite a few deflections on the black nozzles which can be an early warning of an impending 'end of life' situation. Might be prudent to consider replacing the black/cyan head anyway, or at least order one to have ready at hand to minimise downtime.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I would not recommend swapping cables on the single head, as there is internal circuitry in the print head that is different from one side of the head to the other, such as head temperature circuitry. However, along that same concept, swapping the ribbons from the magenta/yellow head with the black/cyan head so the magenta/yellow channels are firing the black/cyan head and vice versa is a safe troubleshooting technique and should tell you if the head is a problem. Be careful about crossing the cables over, i.e., cyan cable to black side and black cable to cyan side. I had a customer do this without talking to me first and the result was sparks and smoke. Now they are sending me the head board to repair and have to buy a new head, as it burned out a contact on the printhead itself.