• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp300 black head, again?

Cova

I change my black head on Roland Sp300 after 1 year of realy small time of use.
I use only original ink, do mainrenance every week, doing test print before every print... Now, after 6 month I see again small banding on black. Print test it's looking good to me, but after I englare print test, I see smal space between black lines (red arrow on scan)
attachment.php

I know that this can't be fixed, I try normal and medium cleaning but result is the same. Of corse, banding on black is smaller on high quality, but on full black prinitg it's visible. I don't know why is my head go wrong, I do maintenance very carefuly, I spent a lot of vinyl on print tests... Feed calibration is fine
I see on forum much worse print test, but it's realy that small gap on head so big problem that causes banding?

Attachments

• Banding.jpg
    Banding.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,145

threeputt

I do not believe your banding issue has anything at all to do with the black print head if that is your test print.

Do a search on here for "banding" issues. There are several things that can cause that. But that test print looks pretty darn good to me.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
What does the banding look like? Your test print does not indicate that it would cause any banding. That being said, it is possible that the head is failing electronically but it would be rare this young.

player

Have you changed the captops much? That looks like the black bottom right nozzle is slightly deflecting, could be from the bottom right edge of the black captop starting to go...

Another thing that can cause banding is when the dampers start to go... They can "starve" the head for ink on full prints, but when you do tests they are perfect.

Also the media profile can make a huge difference. I have some banner material that prints terribly on a bunch of profiles but prints really well when I use the Orafol 3651 profile. Not sure why.

I had an SP540V for many years and it seemed like it was almost impossible to completely eliminate banding. The newer Rolands have what they call "variable wave technology". Not sure if this is why, or the fact that I have 4 heads instead of 2, but I print perfectly banding free now, whereas before I almost never could. If you looked really close there was always some sort of banding...

Good luck!

mark-s

Your test print is fine.
When test print shows alot or some of these lines missing, yes bad head or head going bad.
Something else is causing the banding.

mark-s

Cova

What does the banding look like? Your test print does not indicate that it would cause any banding. That being said, it is possible that the head is failing electronically but it would be rare this young.

attachment.php

This is 3x3 cm black boxes. First one is printed CMYK black, other color is from Roland Color System Library. I often use BK21, what is the most black I can get from tih printer. In this color it's most visible white lines which are irregulary distributed.

Attachments

• black roland.jpg
    black roland.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 449

Cova

Have you changed the captops much? That looks like the black bottom right nozzle is slightly deflecting, could be from the bottom right edge of the black captop starting to go...

Another thing that can cause banding is when the dampers start to go... They can "starve" the head for ink on full prints, but when you do tests they are perfect.

Also the media profile can make a huge difference. I have some banner material that prints terribly on a bunch of profiles but prints really well when I use the Orafol 3651 profile. Not sure why.

I had an SP540V for many years and it seemed like it was almost impossible to completely eliminate banding. The newer Rolands have what they call "variable wave technology". Not sure if this is why, or the fact that I have 4 heads instead of 2, but I print perfectly banding free now, whereas before I almost never could. If you looked really close there was always some sort of banding...

Good luck!

Yes, we changed captops, and probably all that you can change...
There is no profile problem, I have same decals on same material printer 1 month ago, and there is no white lines on black.

Cova

Well after all, I call service.
They try head celaning with acetone, spraying directly to head. I never heard for this method, but after that we have allmost 100% correct print test. And then we try another test with black boxes and bandind is disappeared.
So, my conclusion is, if you want no banding on roland, you must have 1000% correct print test. Barely noticeable deflections will cause banding.
Serviser chagne wipers, but I think there was no need...

But, after only a few days, the banding problem is back :( And print test is not perfect anymore... Barely noticeable deflections you can see like in the first picture of this topic.

So, can anyone know what's going wrong?!? Serviser said that cap tops or any other parts are fine...