• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP300i Perforated Cut Advice

pixelfairy

Hi all Roland Versacamm owners,

I am about to put my money on getting the Roland SP300i.

Would like to enquire about it's perforated cutting capability. Checked out the few videos on Youtube, and all of them demonstrated PerfCut for small stickers only.

[video=youtube;S7_PSSOSLos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7_PSSOSLos&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I was wondering can I do perforated cut around a 2ft x 6.5ft artwork? nothing too complicated for the cut, just a big rounded rectangle so that i can easily push it out like a die cut. Anyone tried that before?

Lastly, I'm also a little undecided on which model to invest in. Where I live, here's the price quoted :
SP-300i is S$18K SP-540i is S$24K
VS-300i is S$24K,VS-540i is S$26K and VS-640i is S$28K

My initial plan was to get the SP-300i, but kept hearing that 30" can be very limiting. Is the $6-8k more investment worth it to get a VS-540i?

Print speed for SPi is 3 time slower than VSi.
The ink cost for SP-300i is S$110.00 for 220ml cartridge. The ink cost for VSi is S$130.00 for 440ml.

Hope to hear some thoughts and kind advice. Thank you very much :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a roland user. But I have used Perf cut a lot. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but why would you want to perf cut a portion that big?
If its that big I am assuming your installing it somewhere and not giving it to the customer as a sticker.
Perf cut is in my opinion just for small stickers, and its just to make them asthetically pleasing when you stack them all up.
I would think it would be a waste of time to perf cut something for install.
My 2cents on perffing.

pixelfairy

Thanks for your reply :)
Basically, I want to cut something like this (see attached graphic). The artwork can be peel off the backing paper.
roland.jpg

I can't get Roland to cut through the sticker with the backing paper coz then the whole blade will get jammed by the piece that was cut out (and dropped out). Thus I had to use perforated method so it can cut but still hold the artwork in place. Hope this make sense? :)

Yea but what I was saying is Perf takes awhile to cut. It's not as fast as just cutting the vinyl. Why wouldn't you just vinyl cut them all and then while the next set is coming out.
Weed it real quick and cut with an xacto. Would save a lot of time. I guess I don't understand why you need them perf cut.

Jackpine

Totally agree. If I did perf cuts, but I don't, I would use My Graphtec FC.
Yea but what I was saying is Perf takes awhile to cut. It's not as fast as just cutting the vinyl. Why wouldn't you just vinyl cut them all and then while the next set is coming out.
Weed it real quick and cut with an xacto. Would save a lot of time. I guess I don't understand why you need them perf cut.

pixelfairy

Thanks for the replies :)
I totally understand my way of doing things as a newbie is kinda strange and not very wise, haha..
Logically, yes I could have use a xacto knife to cut two artworks apart while the next set is printing. But I have a knife phobia ever since i cut my big toe for a school's art project when i was young. Don't think people without the phobia would understand but I try to refrain from using pen knife as much as i can. I would refrain other people working in my premises using it too, coz I'm afraid they may cut themselves. sigh...

Another thought would be to get a rotary paper trimmer but it's an extra step, space and money.

If i can do all the cutting in the Roland, that would be perfect. I don't mind changing out the cutting strip every now and then. :) Between a SP-300i is S$18K and VS-300i is S$24K,VS-540i is S$26K, should I invest another 6-8k more for the speed and newer printhead technology? Is the print quality of VS series superior to the SP series?

This machine I'm mostly using it to create my own products to sell online, not for print on demand services like in a printing shop. So i guess slower speed isn't too huge of an issue? or is the printing and cutting speed of SP-300i that unbearable?