• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland SP300v Printer is faulting out "setup sheet" & "Cancelling during printing"

SouthernExpo

For the last 18 months our Roland SP300v printer will fault out saying "Setup sheet". We have to restart the machine and it was getting a couple months before doing it again. Now it is doing it more frequently and also it is now cancelling in the middle of a print job, again we have to restart the machine and now have to unplug the power cord and plug it back in. We just had a Roland Tec come and work on it 2 days ago, he didn't have a clue why it was faulting out. He replaced the Cable Card and checked all the sensors (they were working). We were hoping what he did would fix it but now it's worse than it was (after a $600.00 repair bill). We can get it to print a line of decals, after it finishes printing and is rolling down to dry it will cancel out and we have to restart the machine. Yesterday it also started to freeze when going into sleep mode and we have to restart it.
Is anybody else having the same problem and is there a fix for it?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There is a little sensor inside a hole in the platen. That sensor tells the machine if vinyl is loaded or not. If it sees light, it thinks nothing is loaded. It may pass the test in service mode but that doesn't mean it's working properly all the time. As you've seen it just cuts out once in a while. You can try cleaning it with alcohol. I'm sure the part is cheap and fairly easy to replace.

binki

I agree, clean the electric eye on the front and back, make sure the media isn't puckering on the back, make sure the pinch rollers are set in the boundaries and the media isn't skewing as it rolls through.

Your job will cancel if you lose connectivity on your network to the printer from VersaWorks. make sure that connection is stable. We use a wireless network but ethernet to the machine from a network pod. Sometimes it disconnects.

Last edited:

FrankW

Is there any light source around what could irritate the sensor? Had that issue sometimes with units of different manufacturers, that a spot light or light from a roof window has leaded to irritation of the sensor. Not with a roland so far, but just as an idea to check for. you can perhaps try to cover the sensor to test if it is a sensor problem.

rjssigns

Replace the rear Paper Interrupt Sensor. It's a 20 dollar part and will take about an hour to R&R.

Ran my SP540V for almost 12 years and found out a lot of things are considered "consumables".

SouthernExpo

We took the apron off this morning and replaced the front Sensor Interrupter (the tec that came out had ordered it but didn't install and left it with us). It was pretty dirty in there so we used canned air and cleaned once we replaced the sensor. So far it has been working for about an hour, lets hope that was the problem. Thank you everybody for the information.