• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp540 Not printing, (replaced head, ink is in tubes, dampers have ink in them)

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I would suggest you "initialize the limit" and see if that improves things. As the caps on that printer end up at a common point at the pump, any air leak can cause issues at both heads. Initializing the limit realigns the home position of the heads exactly centered over the caps. From what I have read so far, and the pics posted, I suspect this is your issue. Two things to remember in this procedure. First, when it says move to cap position, be sure the head is locked in place. You will hear 2 faint clicks when moving to to the left to lock it in. Stop moving it as soon as your hear the second click. You know it's locked when you cannot push it to the left. Second, at the setting the cutter down position step, the cutter head should have automatically separated from the head carriage, and push the cutter head all the way to the left end of printer before hitting enter. Good luck and post your results please.

Attachments

• Initialize the limit.pdf
    355.4 KB · Views: 179

Anointed

Thanks for your update...I tried what you suggested however, it appears that the suction is not airtight. When I pull the syringe, it feels like there is air coming through from some where....and I keep pulling and there is nothing but air. Please advice. Tnx

Anointed

I would suggest you "initialize the limit" and see if that improves things. As the caps on that printer end up at a common point at the pump, any air leak can cause issues at both heads. Initializing the limit realigns the home position of the heads exactly centered over the caps. From what I have read so far, and the pics posted, I suspect this is your issue. Two things to remember in this procedure. First, when it says move to cap position, be sure the head is locked in place. You will hear 2 faint clicks when moving to to the left to lock it in. Stop moving it as soon as your hear the second click. You know it's locked when you cannot push it to the left. Second, at the setting the cutter down position step, the cutter head should have automatically separated from the head carriage, and push the cutter head all the way to the left end of printer before hitting enter. Good luck and post your results please.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your advice and the manual. I will tried as advised and let you know how I went. Thanks heaps!!!

Anointed

Hi Jim,

I tried your advice and came at a standstill after I moved the head to the locked cap position. I pressed enter and then the machine came up with a message "unrecoverable limit sensor"...please see attached image. Non of the buttons on the machine would work except for the on/off button so I could not proceed any further and had no choice but to turn the machine off. Please your further advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.28.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.28.08 pm.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Anointed

Hi Jim,

I managed to complete the "initialize the limit" procedure and did a print test and had the same results. BLANK WHITE. I moved the head to the left and saw that the caps have no inks at all, BLANK WHITE just as previous pics. Please do you any suggestion? I'm thinking the head could be clogged...

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Reading back through this thread, I see you replaced the caps, but bought them on EBay. Are these Roland OEM caps? If not, I suggest you replace all of them with original Roland OEM caps. After market caps are known to have issues. Then try your cleaning cycle again and see if you are pulling ink.