• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540 or Soljet Pro VII 545 EX. Which would you choose and why?

Tizz

Greetings All,

Just want to get your feedback and or experience with either machine.

I'm planning to take the step and buy one of the two but can't make up my mind. I've read countless posts with both negative and positive reviews and opinions. But I know it comes down to my budget and what I plan on doing with it. I do understand that both machines have some age behind them and soon may be needing to replace certain parts.

Both are in pretty good condition and have been regularly serviced and maintained. The SP is going for 10k with certain rolls of media, full set of inks and a 2yr warranty! (Yes a warranty!) not from Roland but from a signage supplier. The SJ 545 is going for 7K w/ take up roller, 13 set of new inks and in VGC.

This will be my first eco sol printer and coming from a ColorCamm PC60 (I did hear a few laughs), I would be happy with either one. I'd just like to choose the 'right' one.

As a very first machine which of these would you choose? What would you look out for? And at what price range would you pay for any of these?

Your feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Robert M

Sp540

Will the SJ545 come with a RIP? If it is the original RIP sold with the printer Roland no longer supports it, The SP540 will have versaworks which can be upgraded for free. The SJ545 has 6 prints heads at 1k each replacement cost vs. the SP540 that has two. So for 3k you get a newer unit, the print cut feature and two years of warranty.

I agree with Roberts statements, although if it is SC-545ex versaworks is a free download and upgrades, if its a SC-540 that ran a RIP called color rip which is a dumb version of old wasatch. both of those machines are expensive to run 6 color, 12 ink cartridges. They dont come with dryer so they are platen heated only.... you can print a bit faster than the sp-540v but that being said it cant dry fast enough to run it full speed the sp-540v has a post dryer runs 4 color 4 cartridge system not the fastest 54" printer but it will get the job done and they actually still make that printer just renamed to a sp-540i for intelligent pass.