• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Sp540i Color Calibration

contigo

Hello, I need help with color calibration of my printer Roland SP540i and Versaworks.
I have a problem with colors, everything goes to magenta and think is time to solve it better than manualy reduce it in versaworks settings. I probably need to create custom profile for our media and ink.
I was looking for some information on internet how to create profile but it seems to be very complicated.
I found datacolor SpyderPrint but im not sure if it is possible to use it.

Today my friend lend me spectrodensitometer KONICA MINOLTA FD-5 which he use on his laser printer Bizhub...
I just need to ask, do you think is possible to use it with my Roland SP540i ?
I found in versaworks that there are just 4-5 devices compatible. For example x-rite, gretagmacbeth eyeone...
It means that I cannot use anything else ?

Thank you very much for your help

printhog

i have a Konica Biz hub and roland soljet and I cant interchange the tools.. I highly doubt that denso will work for you. at very least you could use it for manual entry density readings for linearization, but that wont build a profile. I recommend you contact Correct Color, theyre a merchant here. they could help you get the proper tools for building profiles in versaworks. Color Management For Large And Grand Format Printers -- Correct Color

Correct Color

Thanks, Printhog,

contigo,

What I'd point out before you get too far into this is that the plain fact is in the end you'll get better results and spend less money in the end by hiring me to come set up color management for you than by trying to learn to do all this yourself.

If you want to attempt to do it yourself, please be aware that it's is an extremely long learning curve; when you're done you really don't know for sure if your result is the best it can be; you'll waste a ton of material; you'll waste a ton of time that could better be spent on other aspects of running your business; and odds are that once you've gotten a passable result and step away from it for awhile, you'll wind up forgetting everything you've learned anyway. Because this is very much something that if you don't do it every day, you get really rusty, really fast.

All that said...

Yes, the only spectrophotometers that you can use with Versaworks are the ones in its list.

Cheapest way to get one would probably be to buy an older style i1 on eBay. However, all that would get you in Versaworks is the ability to do linearizations, which basically means you would be able to do machine states, but not characterizations. Meaning that Versaworks has no built-in ICC profile-making engine.

And what that means is that you'd have to buy ICC profile-making software as well, create your machine states in Versa, then create your profiles in your profile-making software, and then import them back into Versa.

By far the most popular ICC profile-making software out there these days is i1 Profiler, which I do sell, as well as new i1 Pro2 devices, but I'd honestly think long and hard about taking on learning and doing it all yourself.

You'll save time and money and get a much better result if you have me come out and set up Certified Correct Color for you.