• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540v Banding

vsmartino

Running into this issue lately, which I can't seem to solve.

I do an environment check every morning before printing, I've changed the dampers and cap tops (based on some suggestions I've read), I manually clean my heads regularly and I've done many head cleans.
I've done all the calibrations I could think of doing, in both normal mode and in service mode. I'm not shy at getting into the printer physically and can take apart just about any inch of it.

My head tests don't seem to be THAT bad and have not increased over the past 2 years from when I was printing the exact same art and not having these issues.

It seems to be much more noticeable in the gradient prints then some of the solid colours ones, but still more noticeable than it's ever been.

You can see it clearly in the "Southpoint" logo attached, and a little less clearer in the "Executive" logo attached - The executive logo was printed about 2 months ago and had no signs of this bad banding.

The yellow car decal has no gradients in it, but you can see the banding in the colours of the dog - this was printed many times over the past 2 years and I've not had this issue.

I've attached my Fill print, Test Print and Quality settings as well. I have tried printing in Mode: CMYK (W-PASS) and though it is a small bit better on the "Southpoint" logo, its still a visible issue...not to mention my print time increases by almost double, which is not feasible.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20211020_201559993.jpg
    PXL_20211020_201559993.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 483
  • PXL_20211020_201604892.jpg
    PXL_20211020_201604892.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 147
  • PXL_20211020_201612128.jpg
    PXL_20211020_201612128.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 169
  • PXL_20211020_201622279.jpg
    PXL_20211020_201622279.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 156
  • PXL_20211020_201657157.jpg
    PXL_20211020_201657157.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 178

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It looks like you have some deflection in every color which will cause banding for sure. I would clean all of the maintenance parts really well. Cap tops, wipers, bottom of the head where the cap top meets the head. Make sure there is no ink build on any of those items. Then I would do a head soak. Basically crimp the cap top tubes shut, I use a forcep but you can also just fold the tube and tape it closed, and the fill the cap top with cleaning solution. Then cap the head back on the cap tops. Let it sit for about an hour, free the cap top tubes up, and run a strong cleaning. It's not a guarantee but that should fix at lease some of the nozzles.

Deflecting nozzles can be caused by partially clogged ink so head soaks try to clear the clog. If the deflection is caused by deformed nozzles, they are unrecoverable. Those usually happen due to head strikes.

vsmartino

Yea, I haven't done a head soak in a long time. Could probably use an extended one.

I have cleaned everything quite thoroughly, including wipers, bottom of the head etc, and keep the entire machine quite clean in all areas.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
To add another point, did you clean the scraper, that piece that scraps off the wipers, we have 2 SP-300V's and they tend to build up dried ink on the scraper over time. I know it won't solve your current problem, but will help with keeping things cleaner moving forward. Based on that test print, the head should be savable, I'm not sure if just 1 hour will be enough though. I might soak it all day try and see, then maybe do another one all night and then try in the morning again.

vsmartino

To add another point, did you clean the scraper, that piece that scraps off the wipers, we have 2 SP-300V's and they tend to build up dried ink on the scraper over time. I know it won't solve your current problem, but will help with keeping things cleaner moving forward. Based on that test print, the head should be savable, I'm not sure if just 1 hour will be enough though. I might soak it all day try and see, then maybe do another one all night and then try in the morning again.
Yes, cleaned regularly! That one always needs a good cleaning thats for sure.

I'm going to do a weekend soak I think and see how it goes.

vsmartino

Update: Did a headsoak for the weekend. My nozzles didn't improve, but to note, they've also been the exact same since I've owned this printer (3 years), and I've never had a head strike in my possession. With the nozzle prints looking the exact same my prints never used to look like this, so I'm going to assume this is something else causing the issue.

Any thoughts?

Zoogee World

Do you have an old test print you can compare the current one to? Because it could be that only one or two nozzles are now deflected that weren't and could be causing your current troubles .Have you done a head alignment in the service menu? If you've done all the calibrations and alignments, then other then replacing the head, I couldn't give you any other advice.

rjssigns

Try running the same print with a canned profile for matte material. Sounds weird but for certain materials it works a treat.

Can also try uni-directional. It covers up a lot of head issues.

vsmartino

Do you have an old test print you can compare the current one to? Because it could be that only one or two nozzles are now deflected that weren't and could be causing your current troubles .Have you done a head alignment in the service menu? If you've done all the calibrations and alignments, then other then replacing the head, I couldn't give you any other advice.
I HAD a photo of my test print and I've seem to have lost it unfortunately. Spent way too long trying to look for it.

I spent all day yesterday making sure every calibration, head calibration (bias, vertical, horizonatl and bidirec.), were in spec and I have definitely improved the print. The head was off a slight bit (likely before my time).

After all that, did another overnight headsoak for good measure. Pics of the results attached.

It's still not the print quality I'm hoping for/have had with this printer.

rjssigns I'd like to not have to bandaid the issue with that, I have tried it, and while uni does make it a bit better, it drastically slows down my prints.

Attachments

• PXL_20211026_160203660.jpg
    PXL_20211026_160203660.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20211026_160217128.jpg
    PXL_20211026_160217128.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20211026_160224735.jpg
    PXL_20211026_160224735.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 128

Zoogee World

I can see there still is nozzle deflection, although I'd like to say I'm certain it is the head, I cannot for sure know. But without adjusting profiles, speed or going to uni-directional, that might be your only option. Luckily the heads for the SP-540V aren't crazy expensive like the newer models, I believe they are about $600 each and I believe SolventInkjet sells them.

vsmartino

I can see there still is nozzle deflection, although I'd like to say I'm certain it is the head, I cannot for sure know. But without adjusting profiles or going to uni-directional, that might be your only option. Luckily the heads for the SP-540V aren't crazy expensive like the newer models, I believe they are about $600 each and I believe SolventInkjet sells them.
I have looked at buying new heads, found them on digiprint: https://us.digiprint-supplies.com/en/epson-dx4-solvent-pphep10so

Have never bought from there though. Being in canada we're limited on our suppliers that carry this stuff.

Is there anything profile wise you'd suggest?

Zoogee World

I'm in Canada too, I've used Digi Print, but not for heads. What media are you using. I have 2x SP-300V's, so the profiles should be the same.

Zoogee World

What speed do you print at, I've noticed over the years as my machines are getting older, I've had to slow the speeds down to get the best look, I typically can't go faster then 500 di-directional. But I'm also using a lower grade media. I typically use the profile SG-G, semi-gloss gray glue, but it might not hurt to try.

vsmartino

On that Soutpoint logo these are what my quality settings are. I've almost always used Generic Vinyl II.

I'll try the SG-G in a couple minutes, just running a cut right now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 1.17.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 1.17.35 PM.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 138

Zoogee World

You can always try and see if Arlon has a profile for that media for the printer if the SG-G doesn't work well. I don't print signs, so I use Pre-Press US for the preset, but I print really small products, maximum of a few inches long or high, so small details matter and I find this profile has always served me well.

vsmartino

Just tried SG-G. I think I do like the way it looks better. I tried with the default 700 head speed (#1) and then 500 head speed (#2).
The 500 seems to clean up the black edges a bit, but otherwise not too much of a difference.

There is still some banding, in both, but the result is "tigther" if that makes sense, which I think results in a better look than the larger banding at least.

When I asked All Graphics Supplies (where i get my material) the tech just suggested Generic Vinyl II for profile.

Attachments

• PXL_20211026_175701953.jpg
    PXL_20211026_175701953.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20211026_175712435.jpg
    PXL_20211026_175712435.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136

Zoogee World

Just out of curiosity, does printing in uni-directional take away the banding? I know you mentioned it takes longer, which it does, but just wondering if it resolves that. I would also try 300 in the bi-directional to see if that helps any.

Zoogee World

One last idea, but maybe you've already done it, but have you done a feed correction, it's suppose to help with banding as well. TO do it, you go Menu - Calibration - Test Print, Then you should see if there is a gap or overlap, which could be causing issues as well. I had to look it up in my manual as I couldn't remember what it was called, lol.