• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540V Head Replacement?

Onee

as gone for 3 weeks & when I came home I did a test print & the black/blue was doing fine. Did a few medium cleans & a powerful clean the. Finally the yellow printed great. I opened it up to do a clean & saw that there was dried up magenta in a lot of places. I trouble shooted everything I could think of & found on the web...then when I tried to pull out the damper for the magenta (mind you I was brain numb at this point & it was still plugged in and possibly sleeping) anyway when I pulled it out a little magenta splashed out. It mostly got on my fingers but now the yellow/magenta isn't printing at all. I have switches the cables & the blue/black is doing fine but still nothing from magenta/yellow. I tried to look at the fuses To see if I blew one of those but I don't know if I am looking in the right place.

If anyone knows what I might be dealing with or the most economical place to buy the parts I need. I'm pretty good at replacing parts & trouble shooting if I have a good direction to follow.

Thanks!

FrankW

If ink have splashed on the Head, it could be that a shortcut have happened and the head fuse is now broken.

Jack Knight1979

Yes. A mere drop of vapor on the head circuit will blow the fuse. It could also short the head. First look into replacing the fuse. Try printing. If she blows again the head is gone.

You'll need a another fuse and head.

I did the same when my printer was new. (when I was green) I followed what my tech did. Turns out he did it wrong, so I in turn worked on my machine wrong. Kept blowing heads.

When working on the machine. Disconnect power. Turn it on a few times with no cable in the machine to dissipate the charge left in the caps and then work on it. If you suspect you dropped ink/liquid on the head board during this time. Clean it all. Make sure there is NO moisture on the head circuit and then power back on.

Wait overnight if needed to verify all moisture has evaped from the head circuits.

Onee

Are there only 2 fuses that are located in the back of the machine where all the "motherboards" are? I mostly focus & have to tear apart my embroidery machines so to have anything go wrong with my Roland in the last 2 years this is all new to me! Thanks for all your help!

bovegas

Fuses are located on the board that is connected to mother board. There should be 3 fuses. One fuse for set of 2 heads. Check with O meter while they are on board. You don't have to take them out to check them. They are white and size of 1/8 x 1/16. There should be imprint F1 F2 F3 on the board next to these fuses. Also on this board you will see bunch of big transistors. Measure resistance between all 3 legs on those transistors. Three are 2 different types of those and they are next to each other even they look the same. Model number for one starts with a and the other with c. So all A**** transistors should have same resistance and all C the same. If you find one with different resistance then the rest of the same model number you should replace it with new transistor. When fuse goes bad it usually takes one of transistors too. You can try to submerge head in jar with isopropyl alcohol and shake it than let it dry overnight. Than try it and maybe it will be okay. Worst case scenario you will have to replace same fuse and maybe transistor. But it's worthy taking in consideration price of the new head

CS-SignSupply-TT

Service and support for Roland SP540V

as gone for 3 weeks & when I came home I did a test print & the black/blue was doing fine. Did a few medium cleans & a powerful clean the. Finally the yellow printed great. I opened it up to do a clean & saw that there was dried up magenta in a lot of places. I trouble shooted everything I could think of & found on the web...then when I tried to pull out the damper for the magenta (mind you I was brain numb at this point & it was still plugged in and possibly sleeping) anyway when I pulled it out a little magenta splashed out. It mostly got on my fingers but now the yellow/magenta isn't printing at all. I have switches the cables & the blue/black is doing fine but still nothing from magenta/yellow. I tried to look at the fuses To see if I blew one of those but I don't know if I am looking in the right place.

If anyone knows what I might be dealing with or the most economical place to buy the parts I need. I'm pretty good at replacing parts & trouble shooting if I have a good direction to follow.

Thanks!

If you run into any obstacles or want to talk to a Roland authorized dealer, please give us a call.

CS-SignSupply

Depending on the age of the mainboard, the fuses might be "replaceable (plug n play)" or they may be integrated and therefore need to be removed and new one soldered in place. Always purchase 2 or 3 in case the next one pops due to deeper electrical issues. You may also have blown the transistor. Service tech should be able to test each of these, while not all can repair/replace an onboard fuse or transistor.

Over the years, I have seen plenty of videos on replacing onboard fuses/chips/etc and of course, they all look easy... Until you try it.

Takes patience and a skill to remove and solder onboard parts successfully for reliable use.

If you are not comfortable or proficient in servicing the equipment that makes you money, spend some money to get someone in there to save you money in the end.

If you are comfortable taking on the risk and have the skillset/training/experience to do so, go for it.

Onee

Thanks Im Working Now!!

Thanks everyone I am up and running now. I took the print head to my local computer guy to have it checked & cleaned, and ordered the new fuses (they were the F2 F3 on the main motherboard and were the size of rice) the computer tech came and soldered those in for me. I had no need to buy a new print head...now I am searching forums to align the heads!
:U Rock:

graphix

Thanks everyone I am up and running now. I took the print head to my local computer guy to have it checked & cleaned, and ordered the new fuses (they were the F2 F3 on the main motherboard and were the size of rice) the computer tech came and soldered those in for me. I had no need to buy a new print head...now I am searching forums to align the heads!
:U Rock:
does you local guy want to clean another head?...:frustrated: